help problem with tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasond415

i have a problem my little sisters friend has been staying with us for over 2 years and she has paid maybe 15% of the rent she owes,i used to collect the rent but my sister complained and now she is collecting $50 to $100 not nearly the amount $300 a month that was stated,i told her today to give me the rent money,my idea is to put the $300 in a account and spend it on needed items for the house,i told her to give me the rent money and she gave me some fake story about her talking with my older brother and sister about the rent and is going to pay my sister,my sister smokes weed and i dont want the money going to drugs,the thing is my older brother is legally in charge of the house and i dont know what i can do in this situation,i informed the tenant if she refuses to pay me the rent money she has to move out and she gave me a disrespectful look then left,she uses the utilities and has gotten too comfortable here,i am just wondering what my options are since my older brother is in charge

Who is the actual Landlord?
Is there any written agreement?
Has there been any documentation of rent owed and how it will be repayed?

Now if tenant has not paid rent or at least a portion of it you can issue a pay rent or quit notice as it pertains to your state laws. If still not paid you may begin eviction process

the problem is that my brother is legally the landlord and doesnt make great choices with the money spent,the main problem is that the tenant is my sisters friend and my brother and sister have more of a bond and he takes her side most of the time,we never had a written agreement with her when i was collecting the money i would give her recipts but my sister got upset since it was her friend,i dont know what my options are since my brother is the landlord,he does not know how to manage the money and we are paying $1,800 a month for rent and the tenant uses the utilities ,if i were to take this to court would i be able to get the past rent,the three of us are kind of young the oldest is my brother at 27 our parents died early and left no will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back