HELP:Hit and walked/drove off...

N

Nucleocat

Jurisdiction
California
I need your advice about hit and run case- the person walked/drove off in front of me.

I street parked my car in front of my house last weekend. I saw unfamiliar family tried to park their SUV behind of my car. After they failed to park there, they eventually parked couple cars away. They got off the car and walked towards to my car, then started to check my car while they locked their car by remote. I asked gently "why are you checking my car?" and found out they were checking about 3X 4-inch size scratch on my car rear bumper which I had never seen before!

I confronted a female of the family about the scratch. She said "she was not able to see the scratch, I should have better eye vision" and walked off with other family members.

I immediately called 911/auto insurance and explained the situation while we (I also called all my family at home) took all evidence (registration plate and their scratches in the front of their car with scale). While waiting for arrival of the police officers, the family got back to the SUV and drove off.

I am waiting for the police/auto insurance update now, but concern the family may deny their fault, even we have enough evidence... here is the questions:
how long generally it would take to hear the police/auto insurance updates?
how much evidence do generally need for a small claims court?
what kind of evidence is the best to accuse these people? registration plate is not enough?

I really appreciate any of your suggestions.

You are way ahead of yourself. Your insurance will probably cover this without question. What law enforcement might do is beyond your control and would be aggravating slow anyway.
Work with your insurance company and be done with it. Your insurance company knows how to reach the other insurance company if they choose.

Agree- let your car ins. co. handle.

Back