Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Help! Cyberstalking charge.

ShakyShane

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hello I recently got picked up by the police because a local preacher I known since I was little called the law on me. What happened was after the preacher made a comment to me about not knowing what it's like to have a woman complain about the air conditioning temperature among other things, I decided it was funny to make a send him a email with a offensive prayer that I copied and pasted from a adult swim cartoon "Squidbillies"
"Dear Lord please let me have this extra chunky 3some and I will forever pretend gospel music is better than the devils music (which we both know it ain't) and I will put down the booze and Smoke. Lord Y'know how many people marijuana killed? One dumbass who tried to hackysack a tarantula.
Lord Please allow this dangerous combination of hair spray, bat slobber and D.O.T. Four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirit, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me. "
Well I thought this was extremely funny but now I'm worried because I did not think this could cause me to get any kind of legal trouble. But I was picked up by the police and taken to the station and they took my picture and signed some papers and then I went to court once and all they did was tell me what I'm being charged with. Now I have to go back to court and I don't know what to expect. I do not have an attorney because I can not afford one. I do not have a plan other that to plead guilty and say I was messing around and I ain't a threat to anyone. I need advice and help. I only have 400 dollars in my name. I'm not sure if I will go to jail or what. This is in North Carolina. Never been in court till now. I have known this paster since I was little and he's petty and they have never liked me. Also this all started with the youth paster because he makes raps songs and calls himself little pickle, his main song is called cock a doodle do and in the song he says "cocka doodle doo cocka cocka doodle do won't you give me one or two" and I feel like that's not right at all for a youth paster.
To be clear my only option that I came up with is to plead guilty because I did do it, and if I get the chance explain that i was sitting on the couch laughing my ass off not really meaning any harm not thinking I was breaking the law. I am scared of jail time because google says I could see up to 60 days in jail. I am not built for jail.

Now I have to go back to court and I don't know what to expect. I do not have an attorney because I can not afford one

When you next appear in court, tell the judge you are financially challenged and unable to afford an attorney.

Ask the judge if you can have court appointed, as in taxpayer funded, a public defender.

You'll be asked to complete some documents, a decision to appoint a public defender to assist you will result in you being supplied a public defender.

Discuss the case and the charges ONLY with the public defender, once he/she has been made to known to you. Talk to no one else about the strange incident you described in your Original Post.

Good luck...

...and if you are FORCED to enter a plea, it should be NOT GUILTY. A not-guilty plea should be looked at as a way to allow the process to continue. Should you truly feel at a later point (and upon the advice of an attorney) that a guilty plea is the appropriate choice for you, then you can do that later.

I agree. Plead not guilty and get a public defender. You may have a first amendment defense. Meantime, don't talk about this to anybody except your lawyer.

I'm watching the first episode of Squidbillies. Freakin' hilarious. No surprise that the up-tiight, stick up the arse, pastor was offended.

:D

I was picked up by the police and taken to the station and they took my picture

In other words, you were arrested. Right?

and signed some papers

What "papers"? What do they say?

and then I went to court once and all they did was tell me what I'm being charged with.

And what exactly are you being charged with? Specifically, you should have something that references a section of the North Carolina General Statutes. It should look something like "NCGS 14-x.y" (possibly NCGS 14-196.3).

I do not have an attorney because I can not afford one. I do not have a plan other that to plead guilty and say I was messing around and I ain't a threat to anyone.

Ask about having a public defender appointed. However, it's possible that the potential punishment isn't severe enough for you to have the right to a public defender (the maximum possible punishment under NCGS 14-196.3 is up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine of no more than $1,000).

my only option that I came up with is to plead guilty because I did do it

You did send the email, and your email wasn't even remotely funny (perhaps it is in the context of the show, but that's not the point), but that doesn't mean you committed a crime. If, in fact, you've been charged under NCGS 14-196.3, I don't believe your single email satisfies any of the elements of the crime.

Hello I recently got picked up by the police because a local preacher I known since I was little called the law on me. What happened was after the preacher made a comment to me about not knowing what it's like to have a woman complain about the air conditioning temperature among other things, I decided it was funny to make a send him a email with a offensive prayer that I copied and pasted from a adult swim cartoon "Squidbillies"
"Dear Lord please let me have this extra chunky 3some and I will forever pretend gospel music is better than the devils music (which we both know it ain't) and I will put down the booze and Smoke. Lord Y'know how many people marijuana killed? One dumbass who tried to hackysack a tarantula.
Lord Please allow this dangerous combination of hair spray, bat slobber and D.O.T. Four automatic transmission fluid to excite my mind, occupy my spirit, and enrage my body, provoking me to kick any man or woman in the back of the head regardless of what he or she has or has not done unto me. "
Well I thought this was extremely funny but now I'm worried because I did not think this could cause me to get any kind of legal trouble. But I was picked up by the police and taken to the station and they took my picture and signed some papers and then I went to court once and all they did was tell me what I'm being charged with. Now I have to go back to court and I don't know what to expect. I do not have an attorney because I can not afford one. I do not have a plan other that to plead guilty and say I was messing around and I ain't a threat to anyone. I need advice and help. I only have 400 dollars in my name. I'm not sure if I will go to jail or what. This is in North Carolina. Never been in court till now. I have known this paster since I was little and he's petty and they have never liked me. Also this all started with the youth paster because he makes raps songs and calls himself little pickle, his main song is called cock a doodle do and in the song he says "cocka doodle doo cocka cocka doodle do won't you give me one or two" and I feel like that's not right at all for a youth paster.
To be clear my only option that I came up with is to plead guilty because I did do it, and if I get the chance explain that i was sitting on the couch laughing my ass off not really meaning any harm not thinking I was breaking the law. I am scared of jail time because google says I could see up to 60 days in jail. I am not built for jail.

Why would you send thte guy an email at all knowing he doesn't like you? That was kind of dumb...also it seems like you did more than send an "offensive joke" because that's not illegal. If you are charged with cyberstalking you did more than send one email but that's your business.

If you can't afford an attorney, tell the judge that and request a public defender. They give you paperwork to fill out to determine if you are indigent and then go from there. Don't plead guilty. Get a PD and let them help you.

Back