harrassment by neigbor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harleybabe

My husband and I have been harrassed by the neighbor across the street now for over 6 months. It all started when I called the sheriffs dept. on his 15yoa kid who for weeks was working on cars and constantly revving them up where we couldnt take it anymore. I called the non emergency line at the sheriffs dept and called anonymously and the neighbor requested a copy of the tape of the call for some reason. Well, things havent been the same since. A month later when he got a copy of the tape he waited for my husband to walk the dogs whereas he then proceeded to play the tape in his van loud enough for my husband to hear. Backing up a little, obviously he reconized my voice and thats why he did this. Anyways, my husband got highly upset where he turned to this neighbor and told him to grow up and get a life and it turned into a shouting match and the police were then called. He proceeded to lie and said I threatened his life by saying something (which I didnt) and contacted my place of business (I am a police dispatcher) and it went to IA. Of course it was then "unfounded" because of him and his witness "backstepping" and no evidence so of course he lied. He also stated to me that same day he would have my job! Needless to say the deputies have been out here numerous times for "petty" things. His daughter one time called them saying my husband was blowing grass clippings over to thier property, that when we backed up into our garage last night, we came close to the median where she was walking thier dog, that she felt threatened. I mean he constantly calls the police for nothing. Making up things all the time. A little insight on this neighbor also....Last year he followed commissioners around from this city and video taped them before meeting, trying to get them doing something wrong (it was on the news). This is someone who has no life, picks his victims and harrasses them. This man and his family are totally paranoid. My husband and I are hard working people, bother no one and just want to be left alone. The police told us they have delt with this guy for 20yrs and he did the same thing to the family before and thats why they left. How can he constantly get away with this? What can we do? We're not going to move, because we love the area and wont let someone like this do that to us . And I now feel threatned because I feel he is trying to push my buttons (but he wont because I wont stoop to his level) but my husband gets highly upset. Please help!!!

You can try and get a restraining order I guess, but if the police know about him and can't do anything, then I don't know what the forum can help you with. A restraining order could make it worse for you, but then if they violate it they could be arrested. They also could turn around and ask for a restraining order against you. So, if you are unwilling to move, I guess you are stuck until they get bored and pick another victim.

do your very best to remain calm. Even when you want to rip there throat out. It is important that you dont let them win, and by that you must not give them the time of day. Do not appear to be affected by there actions anymore. The fact theat the local police station is aware of how abnoxious these people are, is a good thing. Just live your lives. They abviously feel that they can cause such a disruption on your lives that maybe you will all leave as well. Let your husband know that he if he shows signs of distress, then these people are getting off be that. That is what they want from you, is to cause you stress. My personal advice to you, being the woman of the household, is to kill them with kindness. YES, that is what I said. The last thing that i am sure you want to do. Say hello when you see them. Say Hi to there kids when you see them. Send them some flowers. Just be patient, even if they try harder. I assure you that kindness is not going to be the reaction that these people will expect, let alone be the reaction that they want from you. Sojust try it. see what happens. Make sure that you tell your husband that if you take this advice that you must stick with it for a little while. So if he is unable to bring himself to say hi to any of them, then at least stay away and dont make any rude remarks or nasty looks, and just try to be nice. +These kind of people like confrentation, they may not know how to handle a reaction that they do not expect. They may even end leaving your poor family alone. But you must be consistant. Give it a try. If all else fails, get a restraining order on them. as well as a no contact order, if you can. then they will pay the consequences if they voilate it. But the best thing is to try to live in peace first. Kill thm with Kindness first and see what happens, you may be surprised. Nothing is worse than a neighbor who causes problems for you. I feel your pain. Good Luck. I will pray for your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back