Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Handcuffed

Lokimom

Jurisdiction
Texas
Today, as I was detained, in handcuffs, and questioned by police in the parking lot of a large discount store. My hair is mint and teal, and they had been told a green-haired woman had shoplifted from the store.

So, while I was taking my groceries to my car, a police suv swerved in front of me and said we needed to talk. I didn't understand what was happening. One officer got out and asked me if I had knew a reason someone would accuse me of shoplifting. By this point, I was completely lost. I shop at that store every other week, I've never shoplifted in my life, and I paid for my groceries only moments before.

I don't remember everything the officer told me, but no one ever said "freeze" or "stop." I think he just said something about needing to talk. I've never been arrested or anything before. I've only gotten traffic tickets, so it made sense to me to pull my cart out of the lane, out of traffic, behind my car, which was a few feet away.

Suddenly, the officer I had been talking to grabbed my wrist and said, Not today." That stood out for me because it was so surreal, and I was surprised he grabbed me. I thought I had been cooperating.

Another policeman appeared behind me and the first one told me to put my hands behind my back. About the same time, a second police vehicle pulled up, and I think there was even a third. Cops were everywhere. I'm 45 years old and petite--and completely innocent. I feel like this was pretty out of hand. It's the handcuffs that really bother me. So, they cuffed my hands behind my back. I was cooperative and polite, and had been the entire time. But it was terrifying.

I stood there like that for fifteen minutes getting sunburnt while my groceries thawed.

Meanwhile the cop that grabbed me asked permission to go through my purse to find my receipt. Of course, he found an old receipt first. (Because I'm a hardened criminal...or I shop there every other week and don't clean out my purse often.) Luckily, he did find the right one eventually, but they still didn't take off the cuffs.

Around that time the manager came out and showed them a cell phone and said it had been a mistake, because another woman had green hair. She gave me a gift card for $30 after I told her I wanted a coupon. I was no longer terrified by that point, just upset and wanted to go home. I was so afraid at first, though. Midway through, I realized that the credit card company would have proof of my transaction, and I thought the cashier would remember me because she liked all of my weird shopping bags, and we talked about cats. Until then, it was just disorienting and scary. This probably has no bearing on anything, but I have PTSD, and I think that's one of the reasons I became so confused initially. It was like my brain just shut down. At one point, when they asked me where my car was, I pointed with my head and called it by its make and bumper sticker. I couldn't even remember the model of my car, which I've owned since 1999.

Were the police within their rights to handcuff and detain me?

Were the police within their rights to handcuff and detain me?

Yes, it's called officer and public citizenry safety.

If you feel you were mistreated, you are free to discuss your concerns with the chief, desk sergeant, city council person, or mayor.

Your biggest problem will be explaining why you were concerned about coupons or gift cards after the drama played out. No need to respond here, just be ready to explain if you decide to cause a ruckus over the incident.

Thank you for your response. I asked for something because I felt I had been wronged.

If they were within their rights, then I guess that's fine. It seems bizarre to me that this is considered normal, but I have a new appreciation for the concerns of Black Lives Matter.

No. I just meant that I now understand what it's like to be accused of something you didn't do and have police officers act as if you're a criminal. It's scary. That's all. I wasn't trying to offend anyone or start anything. Just trying to see the positive in something that deeply upset me.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. handcuffing is the norm and Police were acting based on info they got from store. Its unlikely you could pursue this further since you accepted the gift card for your troubles.

i feel like I need to explain that my PTSD is from child abuse and rape; I've never been in combat or the military. I'm a 5'2" genderqueer, biologically female artist. I'm small. I've never been in trouble with the law. All of these police officers scared the bejeezus out of me. I understand now that this was just part of their job, but I was unfamiliar with the procedures. I don't see myself as a threat to anything, so it's strange to think of big guys seeing me like that. I'm still processing this whole thing, but I'm glad my question was answered.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. handcuffing is the norm and Police were acting based on info they got from store. Its unlikely you could pursue this further since you accepted the gift card for your troubles.
Thank you. I'm glad I got the gift card!

Thank you to everyone for your help, but I still don't understand why they handcuffed me. I didn't shoplift. I never have. They said they wanted to talk to me. I was confused but cooperated. I tried to put my cart out of the traffic. The officer I was talking to was right beside me. He never gave an order that I couldn't move. Since he was right next to me and I had both hands on the cart, shouldn't it have been obvious that I wasn't trying to escape or hurt anyone or whatever other justification there would be for doing that to me?

I'm not trying to bash police. I know their jobs must be hard, but I simply don't look threatening and I wasn't endangering anyone. Also, this happened in broad daylight in a quiet suburb. Not in Chicago or Detroit.

Thank you to everyone for your help, but I still don't understand why they handcuffed me...

Gee so you mean the cops all are good friends with you?

No? Well then you represent a potential threat. I've heard of many stories where small people, including children, sent multiple officers to the hospital with injuries.

The police don't know you from Adam and are not willing to risk not going home safe at the end of the day because you SAY you're a good person and not a criminal.

Back