Getting custody from incarcerated parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzmahtazz

I am 19 years old and I have two sisters, 13, and 11. I moved out when I was 18 to attend college. I now live in the state of Pennsylvania, and work downtown for the state in the state administrative building, and my two sisters live/lived in SC. I was thinking of having them come for the summer to live with me as a vacation type thing, and I was even considering having them stay with me on a long term basis considering my mother has a very bad drug problem, and my father is in and out of prison and also drinks alot. The place that they were living in is rundown, and the neighborhood is completely unsafe.

About a week or so ago, my mother went to jail on many charges and has to stay there until at least April, so I decided to take my sisters in as I don't believe my father could take care of them, so I took the trip to South Carolina, and as I arrived there I watched my father get arrested, (I just pulled onto the street that their house was on at 2 in the morning after driving 12 hours only to be stopped by a blockade of police cars, then finding out that it was my father being arrested) only being able to speak with him long enough to find out where my sisters where. I have taken them back to Pennsylvania with me, but I am going to need to register them for school, and take care of their medical needs as well. They have no birth certificates, or social security cards.. although I do have the social security #'s.

Both my mother and my father are willing to give me custody/guardianship of the girls, but I am unsure of what to do to formally get this. It makes this even harder because of the distance. I found forms on the internet, but they are so generic, and since they are both incarcerated, they can't even sign them. And even if I sent them in a letter, and had them send it back.. doesn't it have to be taken to a notary public.. and don't the papers have to be signed in front of them by all three of us?

Is there anyway this could be done without getting lawyers and the courts involved since this can become somewhat pricy? I would just like to get this done as quickly as possible, because I want to get them in school again.. so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nicole

Well you can try calling legal aid to see if you qualify for help.
Or you can go down to the courts to the family law dept and see if they have a family court fascilitator or self help/law library so you can file for temp. guardianship. Since both of your parents are in jail, I believe you probably need to request an ex parte hearing but honestly, if you can get an attorney to help you with the paperwork that would be the best. Have you even tried calling around to see if anyone can help you pro bono(legal term for free). Some attorney's might be willing to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back