Funding an Inmate commissary account

1stGenLassie$

Jurisdiction
Florida
My son is currently incarcerated in Marion County Jail, Ocala Florida. Their program for adding funds to an inmates account requires the depositors SSN and Drivers License information.
Is there any reason i should have to provide this sensitive information? Is there anything i can do legally to get money to my son without providing this information?

My son is currently incarcerated in Marion County Jail, Ocala Florida. Their program for adding funds to an inmates account requires the depositors SSN and Drivers License information.
Is there any reason i should have to provide this sensitive information? Is there anything i can do legally to get money to my son without providing this information?
The reason you need to provide it is because they require it. They want to know who is giving money to the inmates.
Ask the facility if there is a away around it. It might entail a personal visit with documents such as your driver's license and/or passport. Ask them.

I don't understand your concern here. The County already knows who your son's mother is, you. They know you have a driver's license and an SSN and that is also something they know. You would not be giving them anything they don't already know.

Is there any reason i should have to provide this sensitive information?
You aren't being forced or required to provide the county jail, or elected authorities with any information.

You seek to, or are considering funding your incarcerated son's inmate account.

You have choices.

You can choose not to fund such an account, retaining complete control and full custody of all information you don't wish to share.

By the way, if you choose to visit your son on slammer visiting days, you are required to do the following, or forego visits if choose not to do as the jail requires!!!

The company that offers that service to the county facility requires those who VOLUNTARILY CHOOSE to fund such accounts to provide certain information, because US government laws require those services to help crackdown on illicit funds transfers.
Read all about such requirements:

debt.org logo with white text and colored flag
(866) 612-9971

Advertiser Disclosure

Electronic Fund Transfer Act

Updated: December 16, 2021 | Bill Fay
Home > Credit > Credit and Your Consumer Rights > Electronic Fund Transfer Act

In 1979, the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), also known as Regulation E, was implemented to protect consumers when they use electronic means to manage their finances.
Electronic fund transfers are defined as transactions that use computers, phones or magnetic strips to authorize a financial institution to credit or debit a customer's account.
This includes the use of ATMs, debit cards, direct deposits, point of sale transactions, transfers initiated by phones and pre-authorized withdrawals from checking or savings accounts. Consumers typically use a card or pin number to initiate transfers from one account to another.
The EFTA allows consumers to challenge errors and have them corrected within a 45-day period with limited financial penalties. When errors occur, EFTA outlines requirements for banking institutions and consumers to follow. It also requires banks to provide certain information to consumers and defines how consumers can limit liability in the case of a lost or stolen card.
Starting April 2019, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will enforce its Prepaid Accounts Rule that will clear up some complications of the EFTA with digital wallets. The rule will ensure that consumers receive full credit card protection, while making it easier to link those accounts to digital wallets that can store funds. .
Industry analysts said the value of prepaid reloadable cards has grown from just over $1 billion in 2003 to $65 billion in 2012 and is expected to reach $116 billion by 2020.

More than half the states in the United States have their own provisions regarding Regulation E, but in virtually every instance where there is conflict, the federal law takes precedent over state laws.

Types of Electronic Fund Transfers

Financial institutions offer a variety of services to make electronic banking more convenient.

The six most basic services that are protected under the EFTA are as follows:

• ATM – enables virtually 24-hour access to make withdrawals or deposits. If the ATM is owned or operated by an institution other than your bank, you may be charged a fee. This charge must be disclosed at the time of transfer.
  • Direct Deposit– offered by most banks; allows you to preauthorize deposits (e.g. payroll checks or government benefits) or recurring bill payments (e.g. mortgages, insurance payments or utility bills). You have the right to stop preauthorized transfers at any given time, regardless of any opposing contract terms. To stop future automatic payments, notify your bank at least three days before the next scheduled transfer.
  • Pay-by-Phone– enables you to instruct and authorize your financial institution to make payments or transfer funds via telephone. Banks are required to confirm your identity by asking account-specific questions.
  • Internet– allows you to access your accounts through financial institutions' web portals, enabling account monitoring, transfers and online bill payment.
  • Debit Card– issued by financial institutions; allows consumers to make purchases online or at a retail store or business. This does not include gift cards, store-value cards, credit cards and prepaid phone cards, which are excluded from the EFTA.
  • Electronic Check Conversion– enables a business to convert a paper check into an electronic payment by scanning the check and capturing the bank name, address, account number and routing number. After the paper check is scanned into an electronic payment, it becomes null and void.

EFT Service Providers and Consumer Protection Requirements

The EFTA requires financial institutions and any third party involved in EFT services to disclose specific pieces of information to consumers before engaging in any transactions. Institutions must provide such information in a form that you can keep, such as in a downloadable and printable document or in a hardcopy paper document.

Institutions must provide the following information to consumers:

• A summary of liability regarding unauthorized transactions and transfers.
  • Contact information for the person or persons who should be notified in the event of an unauthorized transaction, along with the procedure to report and file a claim.
  • The types of transfers you can make, any fees associated with them and any limitations that might exist.
  • A summary of your rights, including the right to receive periodic statements and point-of-sale purchase receipts.
  • A summary of the institution's liability to you if it fails to make or stop certain transactions.
  • The circumstances under which an institution will share information with a third party concerning your account and account activities.
  • Notice describing how to report an error, request more information and how long you have to make your report.
  • Notice that you may have to pay a fee for use of an ATM where you don't have an account.

Back