Frustrated Aunt

• Thread Starter PUNKROCKSHOW2003
  • Start date
P

PUNKROCKSHOW2003

Jurisdiction
Florida
My brother got involed with a girl. They moved into an apartment and she signed the lease and had a verbal agreement that she would help pay the bills. She got pregnant and lost that baby. Then a few months later got pregnate again. Not even 6 weeks after having the baby, she was calling up guys to come pick her and the newborn up to hangout.(she should have been home setting a routine for the baby) my brother and her became "exs".
A year later She still lives at the apartment not paying rent, not working, she dropped out of high school, No GED, but still manages to find guys to hangout with, party, and get high after my brother comes home from a hard days work. I have a screenshot of her social media site saying " the dopest dope you'll ever smoke" what kind of mother puts that up on a social media site?
I have pictures my brother sent me of a gash on his shoulder from her pushing him into a metal soap dish that was in the tub in the bathroom. I have pictures of him with a black eye from her punching him because he didnt answer fast enough on what direction to drive (she was driving with the baby in the car) I have pictures of a marijuana pipe he had found laying in the living room with a baby around. He is so afride that he is going to lose his baby if he calls the police. The police have told him if he calls again dcf will be invold. I guess my frist question would be, how would you prove a mother to be unfit? Then How can my brother gain main custody of the child? Is their any resources that could truley help him out? How about drug testing her? what about back rent she owes?

The answer to all those questions is: Your brother needs to hire a lawyer.
He is scared that he does not have enough proof that she is unfit or a risk.
He wants to make sure he has a case or cases before he gets involed with a lawyer.
What can we gather up to get him an upper hand in this situation he got himself in? Is there any action that myself or our father/family can take to get him motivated to take some action for the safety of the child?

He wants to make sure he has a case or cases before he gets involed with a lawyer.
What can we gather up to get him an upper hand in this situation he got himself in? Is there any action that myself or our father/family can take to get him motivated to take some action for the safety of the child?

As suggested, speak with a lawyer or two in your (his) county.
The lawyer he HIRES will advise as to what he should do to help the lawyer better prepare his case.

Is there any action that myself or our father/family can take to get him motivated to take some action for the safety of the child?

If the child is ever in any actual danger & he is concerned for the child's safety, he needs to think about the child & contact the police or DCF.

He can discuss with a lawyer the "possibility" of getting custody of the child. This would have to be done through the court system. Is he listed on the birth certificate as the Father? If they aren't married, he will have to do a DNA test to prove to the court he is the Father.

Then he is stuck with the status quo because the legal standards for motherhood are extremely low.

the safety of the child?

If the child is in danger, somebody'd better call CPF. If you and your brother are hesitant to do that and nobody wants to pay a lawyer, then you all need to back off because nothing will change.

What can we gather up to get him an upper hand in this situation he got himself in? Is there any action that myself or our father/family can take

No.

From a "legal" standpoint, there is no "we." This is your brother's problem.

Your brother needs more discriminating tastes and to be much more careful who he creates a child with, but you can not do anything about that. If he is allowing her to live there rent free, that is up to him. If he actually had her sign a contract he can enforce those terms but without a formal agreement, she doesn't owe anything. It also doesn't matter what you think a "good mother" would do. Unless the child is actually in danger, CPS will not get involved.

Your brother needs to establish paternity. That takes more than a name on the birth certificate. Right now he is a legal stranger to the child and may not even be the biological father.

His first action if he feels children at risk is to contact Social services. His priority should be the safety of children so this is first action. Next he consult a Lawyer

Back