Financing Solar Panels

Faldgdha

Hi. This is a bizarre question, it's a bizarre situation, so I apologize in advance for that. I own a home. I am the only one on the title and the home loan. After I got married, my husband financed solar panels for the home. The loan for the panels is in his name. I am not on the loan for the panels; he is not on the title or the loan for the house.

I am about to divorce him. What am I going to be legally responsible for as far as the panels go when I do?

I am about to divorce him. What am I going to be legally responsible for as far as the panels go when I do?

That's difficult to answer without obtaining CONFIDENTIAL data, that I won't ask about.

The division of assets– including real and personal property– in Oregon divorce cases can vary depending on the length of the marriage and other specific facts from the case, Oregon is not a community property state.

However, Oregon is an equitable distribution state, and assets acquired both during and prior to the marriage can be subject to division following divorce. Some factors considered by Oregon courts in a property division case include non-monetary contributions.

However, if things are as you have revealed, you MIGHT not be responsible for the debt he created. That ASSUMES shady stuff wasn't involved in the procurement and installation of the solar panels.

My GUESS is that the debt is leveraged against the home you own.

The best thing you can do is consult a licensed attorney in or near your county of residence.

Hi. This is a bizarre question, it's a bizarre situation, so I apologize in advance for that. I own a home. I am the only one on the title and the home loan. After I got married, my husband financed solar panels for the home. The loan for the panels is in his name. I am not on the loan for the panels; he is not on the title or the loan for the house.

Your IP address was (apparently) used to deduce that you are in Oregon. Are you actually in Oregon?

Assuming there's no lien against the property, you should have no liability to the solar provider. Since the overwhelming majority of divorces are resolved by a marital settlement agreement, whether, and if so to what extent, you end up with any obligation to your husband relating to the solar installation will be a matter of negotiation between the two of you.

Back