filing for divorce from another state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric377

My wife and I got married in Jacksonville,FL....we have lived here for a year and a half until she just up and left me the other day, with our children, and went to New Mexico to live with her parents. She is threatening divorce, and it is my understanding that she would actually have to come back here to file, is this true. If so, that would be great, it may give me a chance to actually see my children, in which she has illegally been preventing me from contacting (and yes, I KNOW that's true, I already found that one out).

My wife and I got married in Jacksonville,FL....we have lived here for a year and a half until she just up and left me the other day, with our children, and went to New Mexico to live with her parents. She is threatening divorce, and it is my understanding that she would actually have to come back here to file, is this true. If so, that would be great, it may give me a chance to actually see my children, in which she has illegally been preventing me from contacting (and yes, I KNOW that's true, I already found that one out).

That's correct. The residency requirement for filing for divorce in New Mexico is 6 months. However, if she delays for 6 months, she will probably be allowed to file there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back