faulty product

Lilly Pulecio

Jurisdiction
Florida
I filed a claim against a corporation, though they have not been served yet. I did not include supporting documents in my file. Can this be mended?

This is a civil claim of $15,000 for damages done by their faulty product/service.

You don't generally attach supporting documents to the complaint, you produce them at trial, if that's what you are asking.

If that's not what you are asking then I suggest you provide some details about the case and what you are doing.

Florida small cliams limit is $8000 so it would appear that you are suing in regular court where rules are a lot more complex.

You may be in over your head, especially if you are going up against a corporation's lawyer.

I filed a claim against a corporation, though they have not been served yet. I did not include supporting documents in my file. Can this be mended?

I assume this means you filed a complaint in a court (i.e., you filed suit) and did not attach documentary evidence to the complaint. If that's correct, you certainly may file an amended complaint (whether it's necessary or desirable to do so is, of course, a different question). However, if you don't have an attorney and don't know the difference between "amend" and "mend," you may as well dismiss the case because you're 99.99% likely to lose (yes, I made up that number, but the point remains).

the difference between "amend" and "mend,"

They are actually very close to meaning the same thing.

mend
intransitive verb
  1. To make repairs or restoration to; fix.
  2. To reform or correct.
amend
intransitive verb
  1. To change for the better; improve.
  2. To alter the wording of (a legal document, for example) so as to make more suitable or acceptable. synonym: correct.
In a way, the OP is correct in asking if his complaint can be mended.

;)

Though it's more likely that dropping the "a" was a typographical error.

They are actually very close to meaning the same thing.

mend
intransitive verb
  1. To make repairs or restoration to; fix.
  2. To reform or correct.
amend
intransitive verb
  1. To change for the better; improve.
  2. To alter the wording of (a legal document, for example) so as to make more suitable or acceptable. synonym: correct.
In a way, the OP is correct in asking if his complaint can be mended.

;)
That's exactly what crossed my mind and caused me to not respond in a similar manner.

Back