Fathers rights

Valace2

I am writing on behalf of my cousin who is blind. He has had 50% custody of his daughter since she was born but is not with the mother.

He has never missed a support payment and has never had issues with getting his weekend visitations.He is gainfully employed and has been for going on 12 years.

We live in Michigan, and his daughters mother wants to move down to Florida. She has MS and is making the argument that it would be better for her illness. Her parents are moving down there and she has remarried. After doing a little bit of checking, MS can be affected by either extremes either hot or cold, and it is far warmer longer in Florida than it is colder in Michigan.

I realize he can fight this, and the court will decide what is best for his daughter. I just don't see how there can be an issue with this. How can she even make the argument that it is in the best interest of his daughter to take her away from her father.

She has been employed gainfully in Michigan, as has her husband.

I have seen how fathers can be completely screwed over by the courts, both of my brothers went through similar circumstances.

Anything anyone tells you is nothing more than guessing, or speculating.

The judge presiding over the custody matter will rule.

There are valid arguments on both sides.

I have seen how fathers can be completely screwed over by the courts,

You're right. Mothers get custody, fathers get screwed. So much for equality of the sexes. Next time a woman spouts off about equality ask her if she's willing to give custody to her ex and pay him child support. (Oh, am I gonna get smacked for that. LOL.)

Anyway, he is entitled to seek an injunction against her moving the child away. He might not win on that, but at least it will get the ex into court where he might be able to get her to pay for his visitation rights.

You're right. Mothers get custody, fathers get screwed. So much for equality of the sexes. Next time a woman spouts off about equality ask her if she's willing to give custody to her ex and pay him child support. (Oh, am I gonna get smacked for that. LOL.)

Anyway, he is entitled to seek an injunction against her moving the child away. He might not win on that, but at least it will get the ex into court where he might be able to get her to pay for his visitation rights.

Gee, 100 years ago, FATHERS got custody and Mothers got nothing. Fifty years ago, we had the 'tender age doctrine', which meant that Mothers got custody. Now, it's the 'best interests of the child' standard. That means who takes the child to school, makes sure there are baths and meals and clean underwear. Which parent takes the child to the doctor and dentist? Which parent takes off work to take care of the sick child? Based on our society and culture, it's Mom who does most of these chores. Since Mom is more often the one involved in the day-to-day care of children (and lowering her lifetime wages - adding to the myth that men are paid more than women), judges tend to give Mom custody. Want to change that? Change behavior.

Back