Father Wanting To Terminate Rights To His Kids??

A

Amberb9119

Jurisdiction
Texas
Im the mother,the father of my kids has said he wants to sign over his rights and he wants me to get the paperwork together I was trying to see what I needed to do to get the process started and is it possible to do it online???

Its not possible at all! Unless you are married and your current husband wishes to adopt child it snot going to happen. The child's Father keeps his rights he just doesn't have to exercise them

Im the mother,the father of my kids has said he wants to sign over his rights and he wants me to get the paperwork together I was trying to see what I needed to do to get the process started and is it possible to do it online???

My guess is that his goal is to avoid paying child support.

Don't let that happen.

Actually, Texas is one of the few states (if not the only state) that will allow a parent to terminate his/her rights to a child, legally severing him/herself from the child without a stepparent having to adopt the child.

OP, if you feel this is truly in the best interests of the mutual child, I'd start calling and talking to attorneys.

I don't think that's true Kat: FAMILY CODE CHAPTER 161. TERMINATION OF THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP

Sec. 161.002. TERMINATION OF THE RIGHTS OF AN ALLEGED BIOLOGICAL FATHER.

Sec. 161.005. TERMINATION WHEN PARENT IS PETITIONER.

Sec. 161.103. AFFIDAVIT OF VOLUNTARY RELINQUISHMENT OF PARENTAL RIGHTS. This might be the only thing that allows it BUT: "(4) a statement that the affiant is or is not presently obligated by court order to make payments for the support of the child;"

I don't think it's very easy for you to relinquish rights in Texas either and it also states this under voluntary relinquishment: "(2) a consent to the placement of the child for adoption by the Department of Family and Protective Services or by a licensed child-placing agency."

And this: "
(6) an allegation that termination of the parent-child relationship is in the best interest of the child;"

If he is trying to get out of child support I don't think he will get this in Texas either.

Unless the children were born during a marriage, he's not legally the father.
If he's not legally the father, he has no parental rights UNLESS he goes to court, has DNA testing done, and the DNA tests reveal him to be the father.

After that is done, however, he has to get the court to create a custody/visitation order, and a child support order.

How does that apply to you?

If the kids were born to him without you being married, he has nothing to relinquish, as he's not legally (nor has he ever been) their father!

Legally, all of the parental rights, responsibilities, and obligations for the children are
yours, alone, mother.

If that is the case, stop communicating the the deadbeat, lout.

Keep him away from your kids.

Think of it this way, ma'am, I appear and say your kids are my kids, too.

After laughing at me, you'd call the police and report a maniac is trying to take your kids.

I'm a legal stranger to your kids, as is he.

Unless the children were born during a marriage, he's not legally the father.
If he's not legally the father, he has no parental rights UNLESS he goes to court, has DNA testing done, and the DNA tests reveal him to be the father.

After that is done, however, he has to get the court to create a custody/visitation order, and a child support order.

How does that apply to you?

If the kids were born to him without you being married, he has nothing to relinquish, as he's not legally (nor has he ever been) their father!

Legally, all of the parental rights, responsibilities, and obligations for the children are
yours, alone, mother.

If that is the case, stop communicating the the deadbeat, lout.

Keep him away from your kids.

Think of it this way, ma'am, I appear and say your kids are my kids, too.

After laughing at me, you'd call the police and report a maniac is trying to take your kids.

I'm a legal stranger to your kids, as is he.

Unless he established paternity when they were born...

Actually, Leslie, it IS possible in Texas (though it's harder than it used to be).
Understanding The Termination of Parental Rights in Texas | Foreman Family Law, PLLC | Practicing family law in Brazos, Burleson and Robertson Counties for over 15 years.
Can a parent voluntarily relinquish parental rights in Texas?
(Links provided for information, only. I am not affiliated with any of these websites.)

I posted the actual family code and did later say it's harder than it seems. I posted about termination of parental rights from the code. I don't think this guy is going to be able to terminate his rights.

Why would you want to allow him and even worse help him terminate his rights. Because he is not really interested in terminating his rights. He is interested in terminating his responsibilities.

Back