Father ordered to continue supporting 28 year old deadbeat son.

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Other
A father went to court to argue that he should no longer be obligated to support his deadbeat son, challenging one of the conditions of his divorce settlement, which ordered that he must pay for the young man's tertiary education. Yes, tertiary. Or, as we in the US call it, grad school.

The man's 28 year old son completed a degree in literature, taking several years longer than expected to finish the course, and has now enrolled on a post-graduate course in experimental cinema in Bologna.

The father earns a modest living through writing, argued that his son should get a part-time job and start paying his own way. "He does not deserve any further financial support, having made no effort to find work to support himself," he told the court.

But the civil court in Modena, northern Italy, ruled that the cinema course is in keeping with the son's "personal aspirations" and must be paid for by his father. Neither party has been named because of confidentiality policies.

Italians are notorious for staying at home with their parents into their twenties, thirties and even forties, often until they marry. The Modena case is just one of 8,000 similar disputes that end up in court each year, with adult children demanding an allowance from their parents.

The phenomenon of "bamboccioni" – an augmentative of "bamboccio", meaning chubby child - has increased since the recession, as youth unemployment reached 40 per cent. The number of cases has risen by 20 per cent in the past decade, coinciding with the start of the global economic crisis in 2008.

Italy's 'big babies': court orders father to pay for upkeep of 28-year-old son

Heaven help millions of US parents if this Italian, and its Japanese twin catches on here.

image.jpg image.jpg

This is similar to Filipino culture, according to my girlfriend. It is very common, evidently, for the children to remain at home under the parents control (and checkbook) until they have a degree AND get married. I wonder which would be better for the U.S. economy and society in general...ideals such as this or the common theme here of getting out as soon as possible and then the sense of entitlement that many seem to inherit.

I often think this old world thinking would be better; unfortunately a lot of that goes along with oppression.

This is similar to Filipino culture, according to my girlfriend. It is very common, evidently, for the children to remain at home under the parents control (and checkbook) until they have a degree AND get married. I wonder which would be better for the U.S. economy and society in general...ideals such as this or the common theme here of getting out as soon as possible and then the sense of entitlement that many seem to inherit.

I often think this old world thinking would be better; unfortunately a lot of that goes along with oppression.

Many in the know, or those that believe they know (LOL) say this trend has already landed in the US.

The recession of 2008, as some term it, has devastated many of our citizenry, along with the hemorrhaging of jobs, poorly negotiated trades deals beginning with NAFTA, oppressive US corporate tax rates, divorces, children having children, and burdensome student loan debt.

I also know grandparents struggling to care for grandchildren because the parents are in prison.

I also know other grandparents raising their grandchildren because the parents are addicted to illegal drugs, or afflicted with mental illnesses.

Our country is in trouble and its impacting our families.

Back