family friend who unbeknownst to me had her law license suspended stole my income and property tax

My wife and I are disabled and were disabled at the time of this fraud. In 2015, our family attorney who was a friend offered to do our taxes. Her attorney's license was suspended though she didn't tell us that fact. We had $6700 in income and property taxes due to us. But she put her Wells fargo account number as the institution where the refund was to be sent. Since we were going through bankruptcy she said we should put off filing until the bankruptcy was settled which took 2 years. We spoke with her throughout the process and when bankruptcy was adjudicated we told her and she said she'd file our taxes for 2014 thru 2018. When we thought the refund was taking too long she told us her refund was also late and the irs was behind. That wasn't the truth as she filed our taxes in April 2015 without informing us, let alone that she had the refund deposited into her bank account and had her attorney's license suspended. The small claims statute of limitations in Mn is 6 years except if you are disabled you can get an extension. How long can the extension be extended, and how do I go about getting one?

When did you discover the theft (month/year)? It's a criminal matter and the SOL may start to run when the theft was discovered.

Back