Executor question...pay out $1

JMontana

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I'm the Executor of my grandmother's estate. The will is simple & straightforward except for one article. It states her daughter is to receive the sum of $1. The daughter is estranged and I'm sure is not expecting to receive anything, but I can't bring myself to send her a check for $1.

Are there any consequences if I don't send the check? Or am I overthinking this and should just send the check?

The daughter is estranged and I'm sure is not expecting to receive anything, but I can't bring myself to send her a check for $1.

I suggest you carry out ALL of the duties mandated by becoming the administrator of the estate.

Are there any consequences if I don't send the check? Or am I overthinking this and should just send the check?

KISS = keep it simple stupid

DDSS = don't do stupid shït

Here is my final thought.

Send her a $1.00 check as the decedent wished to be done, but you are free to send her $100, $1,000, even $10,000 out of YOUR checking account because you hate to see people get stiffed, or you're just a giving kind of dude!!!!

The daughter is estranged and I'm sure is not expecting to receive anything, but I can't bring myself to send her a check for $1.

It may help to understand why she likely gave her estranged daughter $1. Although they evidently didn't get along, giving $1 is not usually meant to put more salt in the wound over giving nothing. Rather, it's a way of acknowledging the daughter's existence and by giving her $1 makes it clear the daughter was taken into account and the mother didn't want give her anything. In short, it's a way to help fend off a challenge to the will by the daughter claiming that her mother would have given her half or whatever but just forgot to do it. It might still be disappointing to her to get nothing, but it may help that giving her $1 isn't generally done to add more spite. It's just a way to ensure there aren't any challenges and probate goes smoothly.

Back