ex-wife and husband filing for termination of my parental rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeltjjw

I live in Georgia. My ex-wife's new husband has filed for termination of my parental rights, and adoption of my children. First, I am in chapter 13 bankruptcy, and child support arrearages are included in that, I have otherwise paid my child support since. My visitation has been sporatic in the past. At one time I was working two jobs in order to try to catch up on my bills and child support arrearages. I now take every other weekend off to spend with my children. In the past I was seeing my children on weekdays, because that is the only days I could get off of work, but my ex-wife would tell me that my oldest had to attend a piano lesson, or choir practice, or something else, and my youngest would be sick. My ex-wife has only been married to this man for 1 year, and they married only 6 months after our divorce. My ex-wife's mother did the same to her biological father. I want to have a guardian ad litem appointed, and family counseling ordered going foreward.

Will my arrearages in child support affect this, even though they are included in my Chapter 13 plan?

The longest I have gone without seeing my children is 3 months. Is this terms for abandonment? Failure to maintain familial bond?

What are the requirements to prove that I have significantly failed to provide for the care and support of the children for one year?

I am fighting this without an attourney, since I can't afford one, and the court in GA does not appoint attourneys in civil matters. Answers and advice would be very appreciated.

Child support cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

You need to fight the termination if you do not want that to happen.

Child support arrearages have been included in repayment plan, not discharged. I am trying to "make good" on all my past debts. I am fighting the temination and have filed an answer with the state superior court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back