Entertainment agent/manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Hi, I received a proposal from a professional musician. He is also my friend. He wants to hire me as his agent/rep/manager to open up a market in overseas for his future performance since I speak the language and know the culture. I am a CPA, MBA with concentration in finance. So, I have no clue what I should do with this opportunity. I'd imagine the first step should be hiring an entertainment lawyer to draw a contract or agreement to establish the terms between this musician and I. Am I right? What the steps are? Would you please give me some advices on this topic? Thank you so much in advice.

The first step is to finalize the important terms between you and your friend and make sure those terms are firm. Draw up a term sheet if you have to. Then go to an entertainment lawyer and have a contract drawn up. Make sure that your friend has an opportunity to get a separate review - if you hire the attorney, he doesn't have the benefit of an adversarial perspective. There will probably be holes that need to be filled to, which the attorney will point out, and you'll agree with your friend. This process ensures that you'll be more likely to remain friends. Best of luck.

referral a good entertainment lawyer

I appreciate your help. It is VERY helpful! I am located in NJ. Do you know any good entertainment lawyer in south NJ area or Philadelphia or even NYC? Thanks again.

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply. I did call a entertainment lawyer. The contract is expensive. So I decided to have a special power of attorney (from a template) drawing for him to sign. I can use it to show my legitimacy to the negotiate party Since I am not a professional booking agent, I will try to check out the possibility first before sign any contract with him. I also purchased two books as my guidance. Hope I am on the right track. When I ready to sign the contract. I definitely keep you in mind. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back