Employer wont let me return to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheila246

Hello,
I am a Pharmacy Tech, and this week I had a infected hair on my chin, and it turned into a huge abcess. I made a Dr."s appointment and was checked and they took a culture to see if it was Staph or MRSA. The Dr. gave some antibiotics and then said I could return back to work Monday, I wont get the test results back from the lab until the end of next week, I called my boss and told her of what the Dr. said and that being on the antibiotics for several days now, that I shouldn't be "contagious" if it is staph. My boss then called back later that evening and told me I couldnt come back until we got the test results back showing whether it is staph or not. What if it does test to be staph, can she fire me? I cant afford all of this time off, becuase of a what if. I do understand the concerns of the disease and the possibilities of infecting my co-workers, and there fears. But this does not seem to be fair treatment on my behalf, especially with the Dr.s note stating I can return back Monday. What should I do?

A Dr. note has no power of law or the like. Your employer can request you stay off work until things are 100% clear if they so choose. The action is not unlawful.

Quick update, it is MRSA, and boss wants me to stay home till next week with pay. So I am relieved now knowing I wont have a small paycheck, after being off for 12 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back