Emancipation/Running Away/ Moving Out at 17?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherin

I am 17 years old, and live in Georgia. My parents do not beat me, though I've been slapped occasionally. I don't share the same beliefs as them, and they reject me for it. I can't say a word to them without being mocked or snapped at in response. I am emotionally abused, and have been pushed to the edge of suicidal thoughts. I have vitamin deficiencies, faint often, and am most often fed by Dan, my boyfriend of one year. I have rationally decided to type this after cooling myself down from being shouted at...and having to consult help online to keep from killing myself.

Depression aside, my question is this:

At 17, is there any possible way that I can free myself from my parents? I feel that staying here endangers my life...from myself. I have a place to stay and food to eat. I can still go to school. A lot of information on the internet has confused me. Please help me.

Unless you are able to fully support yourself, you will not be emancipated.

If you are being abused or are a danger to yourself, please call CPS and/or 911. There is help available.

Georgia has recently tightened up its laws on emancipation to the point where it is now virtually impossible. In any case, emancipation is not provided on the basis of your home situation, but on your proven ability to support yourself.

Again, could you elaborate on supporting myself?
Do you have a job?
Do you possess a high school diploma?
Talk to your school counselor or school psychologist.
They are able to provide intervention services.
In the interim, please hang in there.
You are 17 years old.
When will you turn 18?
At 18, you will become an adult.
You are free to go where you choose at age 18.
I know that an hour seems like a day, when you're young.
But, this too shall pass.
Patience is the key.
Please talk to someone, the police, school teacher, school counselor, school principal, an adult you trust and admire.
Not, however, your boyfriend.
You need someone independent that you trust.
Do you have an aunt, an uncle, grandparents, someone?

Again, could you elaborate on supporting myself?

The ability to pay your own:

Rent
Utilities
Clothing
Food
Transportation
Medical care
Insurance
School fees
School supplies
All the other incidentals of life

And that means YOU paying for them all. Not your boyfriend. Not your boyfriend's mother. Not another friend or relative. Not the state providing you with aid. It means YOU.

FYI, a friend of mine, who lives in your state, did some research a few years back. In 2005, out of several thousand applications, twelve were approved. Not twelve hundred, twelve. Ten fingers and two toes. A football team and one coach.

The GA state legislature decided that twelve was too many, and they went back and updated the law. Under the new law, NONE of the twelve would now qualify (and you would not have qualified under the provision that allowed those twelve to emancipate, even if it were still in effect). NO emancipations were granted in 2006 or 2007. I do not know if he checked on 2008, and 2009 numbers would not yet be available.

A minor with the health issues you describe is not a candidate for emancipation under any state law I have ever heard of.

You have no chance. The reasons that you give will land you in a mental hospital for your own protection.
Suck it up. You have less than a year to go and then you go do what you want. You are best off with your parents... if you leave home early for these reasons you will be much worse off in no time at all.
Just about every teenager hates their parents... you aren't any different. When you stop talking about suicide and are ready to grow up and act mature then maybe you will be ready to move out on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back