emancipation of 19yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancini1

My daughter is 19 yrs old, not in college (dropped out of school in January, 2007), not working (by own choice) and moves out of the house every time she has an argument with her mother. She recently moved in June, 2007, and subsequently got her first DWI on July 4th. My ex has not been informing me of the changing of living circumstances, and is cashing the child support payments like it is all good. I filed to have my daughter emancipated to terminate child support. The support magistrate stated that they allow the children to move in and out of the custodial household, without any relief to the non custodial parent. That is the background. Now what are my rights? Is it true that the child can come and go as they please and I have to continue to pay until 21 or do I have legal grounds to press the court to make a stand?

What state are you in? My husbands is in Indiana. Their child emancipation laws are as follows. Must pay until 21 unless these things are there.

1. 18 years old
2. has not been enrolled in school or college for four prior months of filing papers.
3. is or is capable of working regardless of living with custodial parent.
4. married
5. armed forces, etc.

We used the first three even though she was living with mother, supposededly. Had same problem moved in and out of mother's house.

Good Luck,
gearhart7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back