Early Termination - With Cause/Privacy Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcochrane

UPDATE:
I live in NJ. Ok the original post was a lot of information. So let me summarize where I am at. I am moving out 2 months early. I gave my landlord more than 2 months notice. There is no language in the lease about early termination. My landlord is saying we can't leave until there is a new tenant. However, he says that in about a month he has had very few responses and all respondants have "bad credit". However, none of the respondents have seen the appartment or filled out an application. In less than a week I have 5 very interested people coming to view the apartment (Both of us used craigslist). My landlord refuses to answer how he knows credit scores...only that he is charging $75 for a credit check. I feel like my landlord is not trying to rerent and I am going above and beyond my responsibility to help. What should I do?

PREVIOUS POST
I have had a number of problems with my current landlord. For the past 8 months I have had: a toilet that did not flush solids for a month, a significant lack of water pressure (I have video of no water from the faucets), squirrels & mice in the ceiling and walls (due to a hole in the roof which is still not fixed although since the winter there have been no "noises" ) and a broken thermostat (aka no heat) for 2 winter weeks. However the worst is that in those 10 months, my landlord has on more than one occasion come over without notice, both before and after. One time we knew he was there because he left the toilet seat up in the bathroom. After contacting him regarding our privacy he had once again come over without proper notice. My girlfriend and I are fed up and have found a new apartment. Our lease has no provisions for early termination. In December, we gave our landlord notice that we are moving out 2 months early. He said we cannot leave until he finds a new tennant. After one month, he said he has had no response to his craigslist post. We then posted our own ad and within 12 hours had 5 people coming to view the apartment. When we confronted our landlord about this, he said he had a few people email him, but they "all had bad credit". Keeping in mind none of the people had even seen the apartment.

Do I have cause to terminate early, with no financial responsibility? What if anything can I do. Thank you, I look forward to your responses.

Last edited:
You went ahead of yourself. You first need to make repair request and document those request. Certified mail is best. If repairs are not done or scheduled then your solution depends on your states laws. You may be able to do repairs yourself and deduct rent you may not laws vary. You may have a breach and can leave. You may just have to sit out the two months then move. Until you have used up all possible solutions can you pursue breach and move

NEW UPDATE:

So I went ahead and showed the apartment, had potential tenants fill out applications and sent it to my landlord. One of them emailed me last night, saying that they are renting the apartment and thanking me for helping them. Needless to say, my landlord has yet to let me know that I won't have to pay for the remaining months on my lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back