Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsuv

I was informed by Jefferson County Sheriffs department that my son was turned in for driving to fast thru a neighborhood, per the sheriffs she told me that this is being turned over to State Patrol, I was told either I can go to jail (because car is in my name) and my car can be impounded. What are my legal rights on this?
Mom needing help

What state are you in?

It sounds like this cop is trying to scare a bit more than what they can really do, although it sounds like their intent is to get you to deal with your son.

There's really nothing that they can do without an officer witnessing the event, or some sort of video evidence, but in many states even the automated speed detection devices are illegal.

The question you have to ask is who turned him in. Probably someone in the neighborhood. So then you have to ask, how would they have gotten the license plate number if he was driving that fast.

The other BS part of this is they are basically threatening you send you to jail for speeding. Ultimately I would tell them to fess up with some evidence or go pound sand.

I am assuming you are in Jefferson County, NY - in which case we are probably neighbors ( I live in Jefferson, work in St Lawrence). I used to have a guy in St Law county call the cops on me all the time for my car. Basically him and I had some bad blood over an issue (the details of which arent necessary). He basically didnt like me, and the feeling was mutual so knowing that my vehicle is literally the ONLY one like it he would call me in on assorted stuff. Long story short, I would get calls from the Police and on a few occasions a visit and it all played out the same - there was no proof that what he was saying I was doing was actually happening. If your son drives an import that he modifies, you better get used to this sort of thing and tell him to keep a low profile because lots of people out there hate them because they all lump us into the "Fast and Furious" crowd. He will get to know Jonny Law on a first name basis in this area trust me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back