Downstairs neighbors harrassing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnn1021

We are renters within a co-op building. Our downstairs neighbors are shareholders in the co-op. We have been in this building since March 2002. We have two boys, who are five and two. Our five year old is diagnosed as autistic. Downstairs neighbors made a number of complaints about us (some of which we were never made aware of) regarding noise. Then, when my husband addressed these complaints, he revealed to the management agent that our older boy is autistic. Within days they rescinded the lease that had been sent to us and requested that we vacate the premises in twenty days. Our downstairs neighbors leaned on the co-op board/management agent to try to oust us. This was back in February 2005.

We filed a complaint with HUD, which was then sent to the NYS Div. of Human Rights for handling. We came to an agreement that we would be given a lease through to February 2006, after which we would leave, and also that we would put down carpet in two rooms (costing us $800.00). Now, tonight, at 6:15 p.m. they started banging on their ceiling and then came up to our door to lean on the doorbell (they have done this several times since we moved in). I am on my own in the evenings, since my husband works into the evening and only gets home at nine or ten. I feel very threatened and intimidated by these people (which is probably their intention). However, with just me and two young children at home there is no way I am opening the door to them. It's not as if the noise they objected to happened at three in the morning. It was 6:15 p.m. at night and I was making dinner for the boys and they were racing a bit around me in the kitchen.

A. (our oldest) has a mental age of about one. There is nothing I can do about that. I do try my best to keep them quiet, but, honestly, after this year, my nerves are simply frayed. Do we have any legal rights at all to keep these people from harrassing us?? Can I call the police? Would they do anything at all or would they just laugh at me??

mccarrafitz@hotmail.com

MaryAnn1021 said:
We are renters within a co-op building. Our downstairs neighbors are shareholders in the co-op. We have been in this building since March 2002. We have two boys, who are five and two. Our five year old is diagnosed as autistic. Downstairs neighbors made a number of complaints about us (some of which we were never made aware of) regarding noise. Then, when my husband addressed these complaints, he revealed to the management agent that our older boy is autistic. Within days they rescinded the lease that had been sent to us and requested that we vacate the premises in twenty days. Our downstairs neighbors leaned on the co-op board/management agent to try to oust us. This was back in February 2005.

We filed a complaint with HUD, which was then sent to the NYS Div. of Human Rights for handling. We came to an agreement that we would be given a lease through to February 2006, after which we would leave, and also that we would put down carpet in two rooms (costing us $800.00). Now, tonight, at 6:15 p.m. they started banging on their ceiling and then came up to our door to lean on the doorbell (they have done this several times since we moved in). I am on my own in the evenings, since my husband works into the evening and only gets home at nine or ten. I feel very threatened and intimidated by these people (which is probably their intention). However, with just me and two young children at home there is no way I am opening the door to them. It's not as if the noise they objected to happened at three in the morning. It was 6:15 p.m. at night and I was making dinner for the boys and they were racing a bit around me in the kitchen.

A. (our oldest) has a mental age of about one. There is nothing I can do about that. I do try my best to keep them quiet, but, honestly, after this year, my nerves are simply frayed. Do we have any legal rights at all to keep these people from harrassing us?? Can I call the police? Would they do anything at all or would they just laugh at me??
First of all, how bad is the noise? Is it average for children or is your autistic child much louder than average Calling the police won't help you. Your best bet is to ignore the banging and remember that these people below you have it worse than you do. You might as well live there until the end of your lease and maybe you'll be better off getting a ground floor apartment. I'm sorry for your situation and wish you best of luck.

See if you can get a main floor apartment. Dont forget, the people downstairs are paying rent as well. Its probably alot louder than you think for the tenants below you.

In the future I would avoid renting in an upstairs unit. Regadless if your son is autistic or not, your downstairs neighbors are entitled to some peace and quiet. They can make you miserable if the noise gets bad enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back