Do i need insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

elj2283

Hi i recently purchased a car from a dealer. It was less than inspectable but was sold with a new sticker i tried to return it friday and was unable so i reported the dealer to the state police friday was the last day of my temporary registration, so i won't be able to do anything untill monday. Today i was stopped by the state police and giving a summons for lack of insurance. My issue is that on a temporary registration i was under the impression that i didn't need insurance. I thought it was covered by the dealer untill i was able to obtain it, like a loaner registration, and the law states that a registration that is less than 48 hours expired requires a warning. Cant i fight this?

the Dealer will never be responsible for your insurance, only you are held responsible. You need insurance whenever you drive any vehicle on the road, even if it is not yours.

There are certain circumstances, I believe, in which you are covered temporarily by dealer insurance.
If you were covered you would have known for sure and would have had documentation.
You assumed and did not have documentation.
Insurance was your responsibility.
You can fight it and claim ignorance... the judge may reduce the penalties, but don't expect to beat it.

Im suprised the dealer let you drive off the lot without proper insurance.?. Did you buy the car outright or was the car finaced?

The dealer may have let you buy the car, but you signed at least one, probably more like four, papers stating you had/will get insurance.

**Sent from my OG Droid**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back