Did we miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsword

My dad just passed away six months ago. His father just passed away last week. My grandfather's house is being sold and divided between my dad's two sisters. Shouldn't my dad still get his inheritance and be divided between my brothers and I? My aunts say it only goes to grand-dad's "surviving" children and supposedly says so in grand-dad's will. Is there anything we can do for dad's share? That's all my dad wanted before he died because he had nothing else to leave us.

Hire your own estate attorney to contest the will ASAP. Good luck to you!

Hire your own estate attorney to contest the will ASAP. Good luck to you!

I'm just finding out my uncles had my grandfather change his will to "surviving" children because my dad got sick and they thought if he died before my grandfather then my mom would be entitled to dad's share of grandfather's estate. Were they right? Does the Intestate laws of NY provide for the spouse of a deceased child or does "next of Kin" go directly to the children of the deceased child (grandchildren)?

thank you for your response.

Molly - have the estate attorney look into all the issues that are arising so to protect your interests and those of the other beneficiaries. Good luck!

Last edited:
Molly - this isn't an intestacy question, since your grandfather has a will. It doesn't matter whether your father has one or not - the disposition of your grandfather's estate is governed by his will. Look to see what it says in the event your father predeceases your grandfather.

Popsword - if you can post what your grandfather's will says about gifts to the children here, we'll have a better idea. Whether it goes to your fathers children or to his siblings depends on the will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back