Dentist to small claims quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickT916

about a year ago i had dental work done that cost about $10,000, i was going to pay maybe 3-4k but i emailed them and asked them to call my insurance company and ask them if i can be covered at all, and they replied to me by email and said that my insurance company will cover it all and that there is no limit, so i upgraded to a little more work (as my dentist suggested i do additional teeth)

The catch was, they told me to pay upfront, and after work is completed they will bill my insurance and then insurance will send me the refund within 6-8 weeks.

So i maxed out my credit card and scrabbled up all i had saved to pay for this, because they assured me that im covered since they called my insurance and checked with them (according to the email reply)

So 6-8 weeks go by and the dentist sends me a check into his name that he got from the insurance company for like $135 ... so basically i got $135 refunded out of $10,000... i got scammed!!

Im wanting to take them to small claims court and refund as much as i can since i feel like they scammed me, and emails is the only proof i have against them, any suggestions?

Nick

Why didn't you contact your insurance provider and discuss with them how much they would cover? $10,000 is a lot of out of pocket exspenses for you not to check!
You can try small claims, maybe the judge will see the e-mail as an implied contract, but I am sure the dentist office had you sign forms as well......You should contact your insurance company and find out for sure what they paid for your dental work, and ask them if they were contacted by your dentist office in conjuntion with this work...Find out why this was not covered when they said it was.......
Good luck to you

Gary

well i kept putting off my receipt for a while and then i checked and i think it said if i had questions i was supposed to contact them within 90 days. its been alot more than 90 days so im sure i would just get denied, and since i was told by my dentist by email so i felt like that was good enough to be as a contact and i believed them, i didnt think i was gonna be covered thus the reason i was gonna pay a lot less, but i also checked with my other dentist who did the same work with one of my friends who worked in the same company as me, and she had the same union and same benefits and she was refunded all the money, and her work was actually a bit more work than what i had, so im sure you can see that i was confinced that what my first dentist told me was legit and all true.

i suppose i got nothing to loose in small claims, so maybe i have a case as well.

On top of those ill be taking PayPal to small claims in a week or so, so i hope the judge doesnt see me as some kinda scammer but its i who is getting used left and right here :( :no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back