Debt Collectors Shady Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewes2

I have a 3200.00 debt I have owed since 2004. It has currently been sold to debt collectors. They have a bad rating with the BBB… They have outsourced my account to an even less reputable company, who is notorious for taking payments and not reporting them. As well as promising things in writing they never send. I have been promised an email with the settlement offer 1500.00, but I haven't gotten it yet. I also have not gotten any kind of written notice on the subject. I thought that after 5 days since they first contacted you they have to send you something in writing. They also have failed to use the collection of a debt disclaimer multiple times, once on my voicemail when inquiring on if I had gotten the ghost email they keep saying they are sending. I tried to talk to the original creditor but they refuse to talk to me or take payments directly. I am not confident that the business's who currently have my account, and are demanding payment unless I want them to pursue legal action, will do anything good with my payments. Am I legally obligated to pay a company money who have a terrible rating with the BBB and have been sued for bad collection practices? Also, since they have yet to contact me in writing can't I dispute the debt?

I am not sure what state your in, But if I were in your shoes I would stop talking to them altogether.... Your contract was with the original creditor.....Not the collection agency.....The collection agency has no agreement or contract with you therefore they can't sue you!
Also.....Find out what the statute of limitations are for that type of debt in your state......Next......Challange the accuracy of the debt through the credit reporting agencies.......Write them a certified letter demanding that they stop reporting inacurate information on you, and for them to stop contacting you. You can also file a complaint through the fedral trade commision.. https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

I am not sure what state your in, But if I were in your shoes I would stop talking to them altogether.... Your contract was with the original creditor.....Not the collection agency.....The collection agency has no agreement or contract with you therefore they can't sue you!
Also.....Find out what the statute of limitations are for that type of debt in your state......Next......Challange the accuracy of the debt through the credit reporting agencies.......Write them a certified letter demanding that they stop reporting inacurate information on you, and for them to stop contacting you. You can also file a complaint through the fedral trade commision.. https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

don't mean to burst your bubble, but if the collection agency was assigned the debt (they were), they have all the legal rights (and none of the liabilities) of the original creditor. ie, they can (and possibly will) sue you. if you try to play hardball with a collection agency, they will sue you.
i would make a settlement offer on what you owe, get a letter stating that amount will satisfy the debt and write them a check that says "payment in full" along with the original account number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back