Dealer had an accident in my car

Jude

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I took my 2016 car in for a 6 month checkup. I have less than 700 miles on it. It's a Lexus E350. The dealer had a fender bender in it. They are repairing it but I'm upset. Shouldn't they do more than repair it? It now been in an accident.

I took my 2016 car in for a 6 month checkup. I have less than 700 miles on it. It's a Lexus E350. The dealer had a fender bender in it. They are repairing it but I'm upset. Shouldn't they do more than repair it? It now been in an accident.

You can TRY to make a claim for the diminished value of the vehicle but it may not be that easy. I suggest searching around online for this topic and doing some research.

You can try raising the issue with the dealer and see what they say.

Why would it devalue the car if fixed?

Generally, a vehicle that has been involved in a collision will be worth less than a vehicle which has not, given the same vehicle year/make/model in the same condition. Coming up with an actual number might be difficult and will certainly cost the OP some money.

All accidents are reported to Carfax. Even if the car is repaired And in excellent shape if there is an accident report the car is devalued.

All accidents are reported to Carfax. Even if the car is repaired And in excellent shape if there is an accident report the car is devalued.

No used vehicle, even luxury vehicles are worth enough to fret about diminished value.

If the dealer doesn't accede to your request for more loot, you'll have to sue them to pursue it.

Sure, you can make the argument with the dealer.

You might receive an extra $100, maybe $200 because your custom is appreciated, or just to shut up and go away.

If that $100/$200 is worth it, go for it.

On a personal note, I take great pride in my vehicles.
I fawn over them.
I protect them.
I have them detailed.
I've learned in the last couple years, enjoy them.
They aren't collectibles, fine art, precious stamps, or coins.
They're just tools, implements that take me from place Aaa to place Bbb.
I enjoy them, but I no longer obsess over them.
I've turned my obsession on the few people tat deserve it, the ones I love.

No, but doesn't this devalue the car?

Yes.

Especially a 2016 car with only 700 miles.

Virginia allows for compensation for diminished value:

"Where an auto has been damaged but not totally destroyed and it is reasonably susceptible of repairs, the measure of damages is the cost of repairs and any diminution of the auto's market value which results from the car having been injured after the repairs; that is, the cost of repairs plus any amount of depreciation in value of the vehicle as repaired. Averett v. Shircliff, 237 S.E.2d 92 (Va. 1977)."

The stigma of an accident appearing on a carfax is certainly going to affect the sale value of the car unless you can convince a potential buyer that it was minor and was properly repaired. To that end I suggest you get a copy of the repair costs that the dealer allocated and hopefully photos.

I have to tell you that I get awfully suspicious when I look at a potential purchase that has an accident on the carfax and the seller can't show me photos of the damage or the repair bill.

Back