Credit card debt as a minor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellybellyrell

When I was 16 I recieved a credit card in my own name. From there I went what i believe is technically defined as APESHIT. Opening store cards and so on... Well Before i was legally an adult I already had about $4,000 in debt (which somehow now is over $20,000 ???) I have never had a credit card as an adult. I am 26 years old and would like to somehow get on the right track. Is there any thing i can do about this mess?

Shelly......I can't say that I agree with what you are asking... You must have lied about your age to get those cards issued to you....If so then you are guilty of several counts of fraud.....But the statute of limitations would not allow you to be prosecuted for that now. If you were 16 at the time, and 26 now then it should all be off your credit report....(they can only keep it on there for 7 years) Pull a report from all 3 credit reporting agencies and see what is still on there...

Gary

credit cards

Well my dad co-signed for the first one, but then i was sent cards in my OWN name alone. I never lied on any of the applications. They would send me Pre-approval applications and id fill them out. The last card i had was when i was 17, THEY ARE ALL STILL ON ALL 3 REPORTS. I have heard they SHOULD be off many of times, but the companies still report them on the credit bureau??? The credit companies sell the debt over and over again and sometimes the same debt is repeated on the same credit report, just in different debt collection firms names?? IM JUST FRUSTRATED WITH THE WHOLE THING.

Contact all three credit agencies and tell them you want it taken off your report(s) because the information is inaccurate, and obsolete....
Good luck shelly.....

Gary

i'll take you at your word..

if you were a minor, you (legally) didn't have the ability to enter into a binding contract, thus any contract entered into is null and void. as gary pointed out, the debt is stale for credit reporting purposes. dispute it as such, and it should go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back