Could I win this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab5

My jurisdiction is: Florida

Ok here's the story.

I turned 18 a month ago and I was going to visit my sister in Gainsville, Florida. It's about a 2 hour drive from my house. Anyway I picked up my now former friend from his house because he was supposed to stay at his friends house in gainesville.

Anyway we are on the road half way there and he tells me that his friends father suddenly died which was probably complete B.S, so he asked if he could stay where I was going (my sisters dorm)

I asked her if he could stay there and she said no because he's an idiot and steals (which he is) and she wouldn't allow him there. Being the typical moron that he is he doesn't bring any money so I'm stuck with this idiot in my car in gainesville.

So I get constant calls from his mother says that I 'kidnapped' her MINOR son (he's only 4 months younger than me-I turned 18 in January and he turns 18 in May, and she knew we were going to Gainesville) and she starts threatening to sue me and my sister if I don't take care of him and let him into my sisters dorm. She tells me how I should know how he is stupid and has these disorders( i know that he is a compulsive liar and he acts like an idiot in public but he doesn't have down syndrome)

So I end up paying around $70 for him to stay at a Motel 6 and paying for his food, etc. on my debit card which I know I will never be reimbursed for. I thought that since I am the legal adult I had to do it because I was afraid she would try to sue me if I didn't. I should have left him on the side of the road and told his mother to go pick him up.

Yes I know I was stupid for bringing him with me in the first place, he really has no good qualities and I should have stopped being his friend earlier. My question is, do you think I could win my $70 back in a small claims court? Was I responsible for paying for him since I am 18? I feel that I should get my money back because I shouldn't have had to pay for an idiot who has no money and his ignorant mother.

Also, in Civil County court do you need a lawyer, or do you just defend yourself?

Thank you.

Last edited:
My question is, do you think I could win my $70 back in a small claims court?
It will cost you more than that just to file the civil suit. Even if you won, a judgment does not guarantee payment. It would be solely up to you to collect on the judgment, and that would cost even more money. Regardless, the $70.00 could be construed as having been a gift.

Also, in Civil County court do you need a lawyer, or do you just defend yourself?
You would be the plaintiff not the defendant. And, usually no you would not need an attorney.

Was I responsible for paying for him since I am 18?
I'm not an attorney, yet I would say no. As long as you did not knowingly help this minor run-away from home or help him leave his home state.

You've done the right thing to make this individual a "Former" friend. $70.00 is a very small price to pay for a friendship gone sour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back