Conservator attempting to take all assets from father's estate

DTW1975

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
State of North Dakota.
My father passed away early May of this year (2023). He left a will. His brother (my uncle) is the executor of the will. His wife (my step-mother) had already been in dementia care for 2 years. She was incapacitated and needed a conservator to represent her decisions. Well, my father and her sister were made to be conservators.

Within a few days after my fathers death, conservator goes to bank and withdraws all cash, well over 6 figures. These accounts were joint for my father and his wife. Executor signs off on it.

A few days later, my brother and I are read the will. My brother and I are to inherit via TOD the real property, personal property, my father's classic cars and anything left behind on my father's property. As well, we are to inherit his mineral rights via TOD. These mineral rights were in his name only. Never his wife's.

A year prior (2022) to my father's death he had removed his wife's name from the house deed. 10 days later he had added my brother and I as TOD to the real estate. This is all recorded at the county recorders office. So, his wife's name is no longer on the deed. She is in assisted living so she would never to return to the property.

The conservator is furious because she feels everything should go to my father's wife. She hires an attorney to contest the will. We had already retained a probate attorney, which we eventually lost due to my uncle being too difficult to deal with. They decided to not represent us. We were able to retain another attorney.

We know that under North Dakota state law, the wife is entitled to 50% of the augmented estate if the will is contested. That is all well and good. Problem is, the conservator has close to a half a million dollars in cash that belongs to the estate.

After a month or so, conservators attorney sends out a Quiet Title to my brother and I saying the wife's name was never legally taken off of the deed so the TOD is void. Our attorneys respond and we have heard nothing in close to a month.
Next could be the mineral rights, then the cars and anything else. Basically, she is trying to take everything and leave us with nothing.

Here is the thing, my father's wife had an aunt who had passed several years prior and when she passed she left money to my step-mother, her sister (conservator) and their two other siblings. My step-mother received a very large sum and the conservator received very little. So we believe she (conservator) is resentful and wants this money from my step-mother now that she is incapacitated. You see, the conservator is the beneficiary to my step-mothers assets.

Here is my question: If we know my father did this all legally (the deed transfer), which he did, why is this not as simple as proving it via court documents? I realize this stuff can be complicated and take some time but it seems the proof is right there. We are now waiting on the judge to place a number on the augmented estate and we go from there. The conservator had access to my father's house while she was dealing with all of this and has also stolen my father's (our) computer and taken it back with her to her home state. None of of us live in North Dakota, so none of us are there at the same time.
This is all a mess, I know, but we are patiently waiting for this to all work itself out.
Any feedback on this would be appreciated, we really just need to know if we are doing this right. Thanks.

I'll touch on a few points based on my meager knowledge.

Within a few days after my fathers death, conservator goes to bank and withdraws all cash, well over 6 figures. These accounts were joint for my father and his wife. Executor signs off on it. The conservator has close to a half a million dollars in cash that belongs to the estate.

The conservator did nothing wrong. The executor had no choice and really had no need to "sign off" on anything because a joint account means the money automatically belongs to the surviving owner, bypassing probate and any mention of the account in your father's will could be irrelevant.

The conservator acts in the best interest of your stepmother, not your father's estate. That money belongs to her, not to your father's estate.

A few days later, my brother and I are read the will. My brother and I are to inherit via TOD the real property, personal property, my father's classic cars and anything left behind on my father's property. As well, we are to inherit his mineral rights via TOD. These mineral rights were in his name only. Never his wife's.

When you write TOD, what do you think that means? When a person dies all of his assets are transferred on death in one way or another. The initials TOD typically refer to a statutory document that allows an asset to automatically be owned by the beneficiary at the moment of death of the owner. For real property in North Dakota it's called a Transfer on Death Deed or Beneficiary deed. You can find a sample at:

Free North Dakota Transfer on Death Deed - PDF | Word – eForms

Was there such a deed recorded? If not then the property, along with other assets, would have to be probateed in accordance with the terms of the will.

A year prior (2022) to my father's death he had removed his wife's name from the house deed.

No. One does not "remove" an owner from a deed. That owner must quitclaim her interest in the property to the other owner. If, as you say, your stepmother "had already been in dementia care for 2 years" prior to your father's death she might not have been legally competent to sign a quitclaim deed 1 year prior to your father's death. It's possible that her quitclaim deed could be challenged as well as the subsequent TOD deed.

Here is the thing, my father's wife had an aunt who had passed several years prior and when she passed she left money to my step-mother, her sister (conservator) and their two other siblings. My step-mother received a very large sum and the conservator received very little. So we believe she (conservator) is resentful and wants this money from my step-mother now that she is incapacitated. You see, the conservator is the beneficiary to my step-mothers assets.

Upon the death of your stepmother her siblings are likely to be entitled to inherit her estate anyway so attributing evil motives to the conservator won't be worth a nickel to you as long as the conservator is using your stepmother's money to care for your stepmother properly.

If we know my father did this all legally (the deed transfer), which he did,

No, you don't "know" that. I noted earlier that your stepmother's quitclaim may be invalid if she was not mentally competent. That's probably the basis for challenging the deed and the TOD deed.

The conservator had access to my father's house while she was dealing with all of this and has also stolen my father's (our) computer and taken it back with her to her home state.

Sorry, personal property is deemed to be jointly owned by husband and wife and became your stepmother's property at the moment of your father's death unless you can prove, with documentation, not just sayso, that the property was your father's sole and separate property.

None of us live in North Dakota, so none of us are there at the same time.

Which could hamper your ability to fight the conservator's litigation.

This is all a mess

I see that. Probably even more of a mess than I am imagining.

Clearly, my terminologies and knowledge of law is that of a layman. Clearly. However, we have been informed of this information via our attorney and this was my interpretation. I appreciate the insight and proper terminology regarding this matter. Below, is a word for word copy (sans the account #'s and names) to give you an idea of the complaint:

"On June 29, 2022, (my father) and (sister=conservator) were appointed Co-
Guardians of the Person of (step-mother), and Co-Conservators over the Estate of (step-mother) Exhibit B – Order Appointing Co-Guardian and Co-Conservator."

"On October 12, 2022, (my father) filed with the County Recorder's Office
of (X)County a Conservator's Deed, which was recorded in the Recorder's Office, (X) County,
North Dakota, as Document No. xxxxxxx, purporting to convey all right, title, and interest in and
to the Property belonging to (my father), as Conservator of the Estate of (step-mother),
to himself, (my father), individually."

"That N.D.C.C. § 30.1-29-22(1) sets forth that any transaction that is affected by a
substantial conflict of interest is voidable unless the transaction is first approved by the court after
notice to the interested persons and others has been provided. The Conservator's Deed where
(my father) conveyed (step-mothers) interest was never approved by the court."

"Subsequent to the execution of the Conservator's Deed, on October 12, 2022, (my father)filed with the County Recorder's Office of (some) County a Transfer on Death Deed, on
behalf of the ward, (step-mother), as Document Number xxxxxxx, purporting to convey to
his sons, Defendants (my brother) and (me), each an undivided 50% interest in
the Property upon the death of (my father)."

"Subsequently, (my father) passed away and (step-mother) is the sole
surviving joint tenant as to the Property."

"Defendants claim certain estate or interest in, or liens or encumbrances upon the
Property or some part thereof, as the case may be, adverse to Plaintiff."

"The claim or claims of Defendants and each of them, are without any right
whatsoever and any, each and all of them have no right, title interest, estate or lien upon the
Property or any part thereof"

"(a) That the Conservator's Deed purporting to convey right, title and interest in the
Property to (my father), individually, be found void.
(b) That Defendants be required to set forth all their adverse claims to the above-
described real property and that the validity, superiority, and priority thereof be
determined.
(c) The same be adjudged null and void, and that Defendants, and each of them and all
persons claiming an estate or interest or lien or encumbrance upon the Property, or
any part thereof, from, through or under Defendants, or any of them, be decreed to
have no estate or interest in or lien or encumbrance upon the Property, or any part
thereof.
(d) Plaintiff's title to the Property be quieted as to all such adverse claims and that
Defendants and each of them, and all persons claiming from, through, or under
them, or any of them be forever debarred and enjoined from further asserting the
same.
(e) Plaintiff have such other general relief as may be just, together with costs and
disbursements against all Defendants answering, and that no personal claim is made
herein against any Defendant."

This is all a mess, I know, but we are patiently waiting for this to all work itself out.
Any feedback on this would be appreciated, we really just need to know if we are doing this right. Thanks.

We all spend a good part of our lives waiting on the system, or other powerful entities to decide our fate.

When I'm required to wait, I always recall a Bible verse.

Psalm 27:14 (King James Version)
14 Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

If you've retained counsel and the matter is being litigated, one might paraphrase the aforementioned verse.

Wait on the LAW: be of good courage, and strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LAW.

"That N.D.C.C. § 30.1-29-22(1) sets forth that any transaction that is affected by a substantial conflict of interest is voidable unless the transaction is first approved by the court after notice to the interested persons and others has been provided.

I looked up that statute and here's what it actually says:

30.1-29-22. (5-422) Sale, encumbrance, or transaction involving conflict of interest -Voidable exceptions. Any sale or encumbrance to a conservator, the conservator's spouse, agent, or attorney, or any corporation, limited liability company, or trust in which the conservator has a substantial beneficial interest, or any transaction which is affected by a substantial conflict of interest is voidable unless the transaction is approved by the court, after notice to interested persons and others as directed by the court.

North Dakota Century Code Title 30.1, Chapter 30.1-29 (2022) - Protection of Property of Persons Under Disability and Minors :: 2022 North Dakota Century Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Seems that your father did not comply with the statute when he did not get the transaction approved by the court.

His heirs will have to prove that the transfer of ownership would have been approved had the statute been complied with.

How that gets accomplished is something you will have to discuss with your lawyer.

His attorneys that helped him with this transaction were our first probate attorneys. Unfortunately, as I stated, we had to change attorneys. I realize these type of things happen but I find it hard to digest that they did not make sure this was approved by the court when doing this transaction. I guess we need to make sure our current attorneys are directly on top of this.
Is there somewhere, publicly, those records could be accessed? I have already contacted the county recorders office but they do not seem to know whether or not it was approved by the court.

Last edited:
Conservatorship and guardianship are handled by the District Courts of ND. If something has to be "approved" by the court there would be a case file.

Go to the following court page. Select the location Cass County in the East Central District. Then click on Civil, Family, & Probate Case Records.

publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/default.aspx

That brings you to the following page where you can search your father's name, your stepmother's name, even her maiden name for a particular date range. Leave Case Types unselected so you can broaden the results. Sort by File Date.

publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/Search.aspx?ID=200

If you do find a case, you might be able to view documents online. If not, call the court clerk to find out how to get copies of documents sent to you from the case file.

Ok, thank you. I see a few dates within the Conservatorship file that are close to the deed transactions but nothing specific. I appreciate your help.

Back