Consumer Law, Warranties Combat Veteran vs The Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic23

This is my first post and I hope that I'm in the correct place. I'll begin by explaining the situation:

I was a Combat Medic in the U.S. Army (active duty) and was honorably discharged about two weeks ago. I went back to Chicago to stay with an old friend while I searched for an apartment and then a school to attend using my GI Bill benefits. I found an apartment that I would be moving into on August 1 but needed to provide first and last months rent in the form of a certified check or money order. I currently bank with USAA, a bank that is used by many members of the military but does not have many branch locations. No banks would issue me a certified check since I was not a customer unless I had the cash on hand for a direct exchange. I then went to a Currency Exchange to secure the money orders via debit transaction but it was declined. I then called my bank to find out why and was told that the attempted transaction caused a fraud alert and that my accounts were frozen as a result. I explained the situation several times but was told that nothing could be done until a review had taken place which would take 1-2 business days. I am now on business day #2 and they are still refusing to give me any update on their "review". I am completely locked out of my 2 checking accounts and unable to access my money, locked out of all of their online services, and unable to get any substantial answers. I called this morning and was given the same ambiguous statements about a "review" and I then asked if I was able to close my accounts and take my business elsewhere and was told that I could not. They have completely cut me off from the money I worked hard to save. I'm not trying to play on your sympathy but I'm not going to be able to eat without access to my money. Please, I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations.

I got away from USAA banking for a similar reason. They are great for insurance though.

Temporarily use a credit card from another bank. Perhaps a friend or family member can secure the money order you need until your accounts are freed up.

This is my first post and I hope that I'm in the correct place. I'll begin by explaining the situation:

I was a Combat Medic in the U.S. Army (active duty) and was honorably discharged about two weeks ago. I went back to Chicago to stay with an old friend while I searched for an apartment and then a school to attend using my GI Bill benefits. I found an apartment that I would be moving into on August 1 but needed to provide first and last months rent in the form of a certified check or money order. I currently bank with USAA, a bank that is used by many members of the military but does not have many branch locations. No banks would issue me a certified check since I was not a customer unless I had the cash on hand for a direct exchange. I then went to a Currency Exchange to secure the money orders via debit transaction but it was declined. I then called my bank to find out why and was told that the attempted transaction caused a fraud alert and that my accounts were frozen as a result. I explained the situation several times but was told that nothing could be done until a review had taken place which would take 1-2 business days. I am now on business day #2 and they are still refusing to give me any update on their "review". I am completely locked out of my 2 checking accounts and unable to access my money, locked out of all of their online services, and unable to get any substantial answers. I called this morning and was given the same ambiguous statements about a "review" and I then asked if I was able to close my accounts and take my business elsewhere and was told that I could not. They have completely cut me off from the money I worked hard to save. I'm not trying to play on your sympathy but I'm not going to be able to eat without access to my money. Please, I would really appreciate any advice or recommendations.

As Moose said, that's why I left USAA.
I do retain their auto insurance product.
Nothing you can do when this happens.
Why?
Unless you have $10,000 to hire a legal genius, you have to wait them out.
It took me three days once, and I'm a lawyer.
I had to have a judge friend of mine call the CEO, because she was a friend of his.
Sorry, many banks do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back