Citation for Not Registering Vehicle

John Laurent

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I purchased a car a few days ago, and after getting insurance, I took it to the emissions to get it tested. It ended up getting a Fail 2 on Readiness, so I then took it to a mechanic in my area to have it looked at. His reply was to put more mileage on it for about 60-80 miles, then bring it back to have it looked at again. On my way home, I got pulled over for not having a tag. I showed the officers the emissions form along with proof of insurance and, when asked, explained that I had left the auto shop, but they issued me a citation for not registering the car.

Last edited:
How many is a few? You have seven days to get the car registered. Before that, if you have proof of insurance and a bill of sale showing the date of purchase within that time frame, you should be OK.

they issued me a citation for not registering the car.

Probably nothing you can do about that except pay it.

Meantime, don't drive the car until you get a temporary tag from your county tag office, which is something you should have done in the first place.

It ended up getting a Fail 2 on Readiness, so I then took it to a mechanic in my area to have it looked at. His reply was to put more mileage on it for about 60-80 miles,

It's called a drive cycle and you can look it up for your particular car make, model and year. There is often certain driving requirements. When I had to do it for my truck I had to drive a certain amount of time at a certain speed, then idle, then drive some more.

You should also get yourself an ODB 11 test device and save yourself the time and expense of a retest without knowing if the car is ready or not. They are not very expensive and you can probably get one overnight on Amazon or buy one at the local auto parts store.

Back