Medical Malpractice chronic pain after surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurse343

I just needed some advice. I am 41 and over a year ago well aug 2010 so 14 months ago i had a tubal reversal done in san demis california. It wasn't the best looking faciluty but as a nurse I know looks can be deceiving (ie i have worked at nursing homes with old equiptment and old buildings and none of the pt's had bedsores and worked at some real up to date modern places that patiens were being taken to hospitals with sores so bad thy died from lack of care) so anyway the doctor seemed nice talked to him over the phone once and in person once. Anyway there was once doctor one circulator and one scrub tech in my surgery. Went to sleep woke up they plopped me in a chair and I sat in this chair for i don't know how long to recover bobbing in and out of sleep, unsure where the nurse or doctor was (recovering in a w/c never heard of that before) then i hear someone come in they push me out to the car and put me in the passenger side i heard my husband voice his concern of me being so groggy. They said she will be fine. Went to hotel and slept for 2 days straight made sure my husband watched me the whole time (this surgery mind you was not laproscopic was the equivilant of c/s without uterine incision. I went home and within2 weeks had a uterine infecton which required a bunch of antibiotics. I felt horrible and could not return to work for 2 weeks but did since the surgery i have had horrible hip pain in both hips causing me to be unable to stand, sit or lay on my sides for very long waking up every hour. Went to see my OB/GYN doctor and he said its probobly from them putting my legs in stirrips or holding them open while they did the hystro salpinogram (they put dye in my uteris and tubes to make sure they are open) If you lose controll of a pt's legs ie drop them or push them back ie towards the womans head to far the patient is unable to tell you that that is to far and hurts damage can occur. I call the doctor who did the surgery and he wouldn't talk to me but the nurse said worse case it should be gone in 3-4 months 6 at tops. When to my doctor and had a cyst on my ovary removed thought that was the cause it promply returned after surgery. I have gone to my PCP and he has given me 4 shots of steriods and lidocain in my hips. This lasts for a little bit and then returns sooner and sooner and appears worse. This last time he said this is the worst i have seen you I was shaking with pain trying to get up on the exam table. So long story short I have gained 30lbs in the last year from being unable to work out. I worked hard getting from 245 to 170 and am severly depressed that i have gained this back but cant walk run or work out for long. I am going for MRI but am tired of all the sufferring. I would like to persue a case but unsure if i have one and if i have to find a lawyer in California since that is where my operation was. You think I would be upset about not being unable to become pregnant not so much as i am the pain that wont go away. Checked my tubes one is open but I haven't gotten pregnant i think mostly due to the fact that i cant have sex especially in missionary style without significant pain (ended up crying ontime during sex due to pain talk about trauma to my husband and me) so i would lkie advice on this issue.

thanks
samantha

I suggest you consult with a personal injury or medical malpractice attorney.

The initial visit won't cost you anything but time.

Talk to two or three.

If you think you have a case, select one and allow him/her to direct your next steps.

should i try and do that in colorado or in california where the operation took place?

If I were you, I'd start where I currently reside.

But, if you have plans to travel to California in the near future, that is an option, too.

Terribly sorry to hear about the horrible time you are having and continue to have.

Ultimately it would seem that you will need to sue in California if there is a case. That doesn't mean that personal injury lawyers anywhere wouldn't be able to give you guidance, as army judge states.

Let me ask you this - did your doctors ever tell you that your problems are likely the cause of some part of the surgery performed incorrectly or post-surgical procedure that didn't adhere to standards? It's disturbing that the doctor who performed the surgery refused to take your call. Did you perform some research on this doctor? Is he licensed? Is he in good standing? If you walk into a lawyer's office they will likely want to know why you believe the doctor should be sued other than the fact that you're having a bad time with things. He will want to know whether you have some evidence or reason to believe that the doctor's negligence or misconduct was the "promximate cause" of your problems.

It was difficult for me to understand what happened post surgery. Apparently some issues recurred. Difficult to determine how much could be other issues causing problems. I am not saying that you aren't probably right about this doctor and his office staff being less than attentive (such as the infection just two weeks later.) What I am saying is that before you go into an attorney's office for a case evaluation, try to accumulate as much information as is readily available to make the most of your time and which will lead the attorney to believe that there is a reasonable probability of medical malpractice having occurred.

Best of luck to you.

I truly do not wish to discourage the OP, but every single time you go "under the knife" with gynecological surgery there will be a risk of nerve damage. Without knowing the current diagnosis, it's hard to comment further except to say that tubal reversal is never guaranteed, either.

I'm sorry, OP. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back