Chase Bank Stole $85,000

LudoMcPoodough

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Okay, well maybe not definitively, but they may have.

On April 27th we went to this Chase branch to wire funds to purchase our new home. Neither my wife nor I have any banking experience and so we rely upon the bankers to know what they are doing. The wire was for $85,000. The wire was a two step process. First it was to be sent to an intermediary wire transfer bank, then it was to be sent to the recipient bank to credit the title company. We were asked to double check the account numbers. The account numbers were correct in the account boxes. We arrived at the title company (2 hours away from the nearest Chase Branch) who said they never received the money. We called the branch right away and asked what had happened to our wire transfer. They said it was sent. We were homeless. Later that evening we discovered the error. Chase Bank had reversed the order of intermediary and recipient bank so the wire never went through. We were only asked to double check the account numbers. We had no idea of the process by which a wire transfer occurs nor what the correct order should have been. We trusted the bank.

We immediately called Chase customer support who told us that there was nothing they could do and we would have to go to the branch. Being after hours already we would have to go the next day. We went to the Chase Branch the next day amd explained to them that they made a mistake. Of course they were unwilling to accept blame and at first they told us there was nothing they could do. We demanded to speak with a manager. A manager wasn't available. 4 hours later we were finally told to go speak with a manager who was at a different branch. We arrived at that branch and spoke with Gabriel who gave us a reference number for a recall they were trying to do but also told us there was no guarantee that they would get our money back.

We were given written instructions to contact Chase through online secure messaging in 3-5 business days with the reference number to track the progress. We did. They said they would respond within 1-2 business days. At the time of writing this it's been 3 secure messages and 4 business days and still no response. We've driven to the branch 3 times (a total of 12 hours of driving time) and have been sent away with no answers. We've called Chase Bank at least 10 times and have been passed off from customer service to fraud to wire transfers back to customer service back to wire, etc. etc. Everyone keeps passing us along without providing any answers. One time a lawyer friend and I both called Chase fraud and Chase ran us around in circles until he had to hang up with the phone conversation looking something like this, " okay sir I'm not understanding what you're saying can I have the account and routing number?" " I already gave you the account and routing numbers oh, and the problem is with the order in which you sent the wire." "Well sir, have you stopped by a branch?" "Yes. I already told you I did" "Did you send a message in secure messaging system?" "Yes, 3 times." "I dont understand, can I have the account and routing number?" "I just gave it to you." "Did you stop by the branch?" "I told you I did." "Did you use secure messaging?" "Are you not listening to me, I told you I did." On and on for 20 minutes.

On 5/6/22 I went back to the branch and asked to speak to the manager. They told me that the manager was out sick so I couldn't speak with him. I asked for his number. They told me they can't give it out. I demanded to know who was in charge as they couldn't open the branch without someone in charge. "The banker is in charge but he's booked for the day." That banker heard what was going on and tried to help. In fact he's been the only one that's tried to help to date. Unfortunately Chase gave him the run around as well and he wasn't able to give us any answers.

I've tried contacting Rashad Justice multiple times with no response. I've even looked up the regional manager, Stephen Garrett and left him a voicemail on his cell phone with no response. We just want our $85,000 back. It's in limbo somewhere. The title company doesn't have it. It was the bank's fault as the bank screwed up the wire transfer. Our family members who are struggling financially lent us thousands of dollars to close on our house so we wouldn't be homeless after moving here to Georgia from Arizona.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can give any advice? I heard if we take it to court, which is our next step, it can take 1-2 years to recover our money. That's fine for my wife and I but my wife's family needs their money back ASAP as they are really struggling financially.

I have wired and sent monies to many different financial institutions and NEVER have I ever had to wire money to an intermediary financial institution. I would say if you wired the money to banks in the USA then you are probably okay. If the intermediary bank you sent the money too is in a foreign country then your money is all gone.

It's all domestic.

Usually the title company is on the hook for all the monies you are putting towards the house purchase. The title company takes responsibility to wire the money and receive payment. Was this an all cash purchase? If that is the case then the problem is where you sent the money to. Whoever the intermediary is that the money was sent to is where I would start. Unless the Routing or Account number was messed up then they got the money.

Usually the title company is on the hook for all the monies you are putting towards the house purchase. The title company takes responsibility to wire the money and receive payment.
You didn't quite say it, but what you mean is that the funds are wired to the title company and they disperse the funds to the seller, etc.

Was this an all cash purchase? If that is the case then the problem is where you sent the money to. Whoever the intermediary is that the money was sent to is where I would start. Unless the Routing or Account number was messed up then they got the money.
I agree - somebody has the money.

Signs of scams are all around us.

Wiring money to an intermediary banking institution is best avoided.

How?

Obtain a cashiers check and pay the party using the secure, negotiable instrument.

I hope you receive the recompense you seek, sir or madam.

Now we're finding it impossible to find a lawyer to represent us. We were referred to one lawyer who referred us to another law firm who referred us to another law firm who hasn't called us back

Now we're finding it impossible to find a lawyer to represent us. We were referred to one lawyer who referred us to another law firm who referred us to another law firm who hasn't called us back

Consider yourself lucky, mate.

Keep searching, you'll eventually locate the RIGHT attorney.

You took all this time to contact attorneys...instead of the banks?

The banks will not speak to me. They state they will only speak with Chase. And I'm not sure if you read the original post if you have to ask that.

The banks will not speak to me. They state they will only speak with Chase. And I'm not sure if you read the original post if you have to ask that.
You mean your nearly 1,000-word missive? I'll admit that I skimmed it.

I'm a little confused by this post, which I just read. If the poster's bank (Chase) didn't wire the money because the order was confused, then the money is at Chase bank. If the money was able to be wired directly to the proper recipient bank, then the party with the money should have the funds. So, what am I missing here?

Here's how you find a lawyer. Call up a law firm that is listed as banking and finance and has a large number of lawyers.

You: Hello, law firm, does one of your lawyers handle banking matters.
Law firm: Yes. Mr Loophole does.
You: I'd like an appointment with Mr Loophole. I'll bring a large retainer check.
Law firm: Mr Loophole will be happy to see you. Is tomorrow at Ten AM convenient?

Is that how you are looking for a lawyer?

If not, try it.

Back