Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft caught in NJ, but resident out of state. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pusosl

I am an adult. I was caught shoplifting at a NJ Home Depot Store name last night. 2 LP people stopped me just outside the door. The person said he was surprised that someone like me had shoplifted. I'm sure you've heard pathetic excuses before, so I'll spare you. Needless to say, I am extremely remorseful beyond words.

The item was a $8.98 showerarm. The LP department took several minutes to take my personal info; they looked at my out of state drivers license. I'll be residing temporarily in NJ for the next few months. I only signed one document saying that the shower arm was taken (it was in resellable condition- it was in a package that can be opened & closed easily). I was about to pass out, so I sat in the room for a few more minutes. The security officer let me walk out of the store as he watched me from the back saying he wanted to spare me more embarassment. The LP officer told me not to worry because I won't go to jail over something like this.

I'm unemployed- what are the chances that they'll fine me? They have my SS#- how will this affect my credit rating & background check? How many years am I banned from going into Home Depot or any other home improvement stores? I assume that I'm on camera & in some kind of database. Please help :blush

Re: caught in NJ, but out of state. please help

You have not said if Police were called or not. This is important to your answer. You can expect a civil fine called "Civil Demand" yours should be between $50.00 - $100.00. This does not include any court fines that may be in oppose, which is why I need to know if Police were involved.

By the way the store name or a description of it are not required for answer. Its also safer for you if they are left off

Admin said:
You have not said if Police were called or not. This is important to your answer. You can expect a civil fine called "Civil Demand" yours should be between $50.00 - $100.00. This does not include any court fines that may be in oppose, which is why I need to know if Police were involved.

By the way the store name or a description of it are not required for answer. It's also safer for you if they are left off

Sorry about the store- I assumed that different stores had different policies (no malicious intent). No police officers were called in. If/when I get a notice, they're going to send it to othere state- how do I get them to send it to NJ? Since I'm unemployed, will they allow any sort of substitutions? Do you also know of any low cost therapists for depression? How will it affect my background check and credit rating? SORRY about all of these questions.

If you want your court date sent to you in NJ then contact court and give them new address. Far as background check if convicted you "will" have a record. Start calling lawyers most offer free consultations get as many as you can. Ask them if diversion is option for you. Your credit rating should not be harmed unless you fail to pay civil demand

Thanks. I tried calling the attorney for a free consultation, but the person wasn't there. I emailed the other state court system to let them know that my short term address is in NJ

Re: caught in NJ, but live out of state

I spoke to an attorney. His flat fee is 1200. He explained the whole process about asking for a lesser charge so it doesn't end up on my permanent record. He also stated it's too early to act now. Judging by my overall situation (no police, no paperwork given to me, personal info entered into some kind of store computer [to make sure this never happened before??], buying a large $ item on the same visit) & the low dollar value of resellable shoplifted item, he said they very well may not do anything (e.g. it's a severe warning for me to never do anything this idiotic & criminal). He told me to keep my fingers crossed (in my case, I've been praying). I'm still looking around for other attorneys, just in case.

Let this be a warning to everyone that shoplifting isn't worth it. If you need help to stop this behavioral problem, please get help before it's too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back