Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught but ignored LP and left

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe4287

I was caught removing two items worth $200 from a retail store recently. I wasn't really concealing them; I just noticed an opportunity to leave so I tried to take it. This was my first time ever attempting something like this, but obviously it was a big mistake.

LP was waiting for me just outside the doors. They asked me to go back inside for questioning. I simply put the items down and started walking away. They attempted to stand in front of me but I just walked around them and got in my car and left.

They clearly got my license plate, so the purpose of this thread is not the typical "will I be caught?!?!" thread. I assumed I would be caught eventually, unless for some reason I managed to slip through the cracks. I kind of thought (perhaps foolishly) that my chances would be better by leaving and waiting to be contacted by police than by going back inside and admitting to everything.

This was all a spur-of-the-moment decision, and I was clearly being stupid and not thinking it through. I don't want law enforcement showing up at my home or work. I am thinking now that I should have just cooperated with LP and accepted whatever was coming, as that would end the matter more quietly.

So, what I want to know is what should I do now. I already called the local courthouse and asked if there was a warrant on me, and they said there was no one in the system with that name. Should I:

1) Keep calling the courthouse daily, and if/when I do hear that there is a warrant out, self-surrender to avoid any embarrassing situations.
2) Just wait and see what happens.

Also I plan on seeking the advice of a lawyer, but for right now I don't really want to talk to one until if/when I am actually charged with something. Is this a good or bad idea? Should I be calling a lawyer right now?

If the store filed a Police report and gave them your license its likely in the coming days or weeks a warrant will be issued for your arrest. The Police can use several methods to deal with this as they have until statute of limitations runs out to arrest you. At this point there is "nothing" you can do but wait. That wait could be days, weeks, months up to a year! If the merchandise was still sellable its also possible they just let it go. You have about one year to see if that is case.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my main question is whether or not it will be advantageous to turn myself in in advance. I just want to avoid the possibility of LE showing up at my residence or place of employment. Everything beyond that I can handle. So I was wondering if they knew I was coming in myself, then they wouldn't have to bother finding me.

Problem is, it's just a bit hard turning yourself in without a warrant out.

I wanted to give an update on what happened next.

I went back to the store, because I figured I should just deal with the situation like an adult and identify myself rather than hide and wait. They were appreciative of me coming back, but they had already filed a police report and called the police again (as I expected they would).

I received a citation for retail theft, with a fine of $429. Court appearance is not required, and the police officer said I wouldn't need to appear if I just wanted to pay the whole fine.

I am wondering about contacting a lawyer for this. I am not sure what the total consequences of this will be, besides for just the fine.

Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly might appear on my record in the worst-case scenario. This citation appears to be for a local ordinance. Perhaps that's why the court appearance is not required.

In any case, I am still trying to set up a consultation with a lawyer, but I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can beforehand.

Even if a local oridance it can still show in a criminal background check unless listes as "infraction". See what the Attorney says before taking any action.

Ignoring LP is never a good idea. You got lucky at a "hands off" store. where some store would had put you down and handcuffed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back