Car owner but not the driver

Cywalker

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I financed a car for my soon to be husband. He makes the payments and drives the car, I am just the ower. Things are not working out for us and we are on the verge of breaking up. There is three years left on the finance of this car. I am not sure if I should let him keep the car or take it back from him. I am also afraid if I let him keep the car he will eventually stop making payments and this will ruin my credit. Not sure how to approach this situation from a legal stand point.

Well, if you decide to break up from your "soon to be husband" give him two choices. Either he can pay you in full for the car and you transfer the title to him after you pay off your loan, or you keep the car.

Letting him keep the car while you own it and counting on him to make the payments down the road is a bad move. Plus you haven't even considered liability - if he has an accident with your car you're on the hook too.

Yes, take your car back immediately. It belongs to you, you have all the responsibility for it and he has ZERO legal standing to keep it and drive it.

It is generally not a good idea to do what you did due to situations like yours happening. Agree with the others. If you are the owner, take the vehicle back. It's yours.

Back