Car Lease - I want out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaf

I've been divorced now for a couple of years. Upon divorce, my ex and I had 2 vehicles, both leased, both leased in her name only. It was put into the MSA that it was understood by both parties that the one car was "regarded as mine" and one as hers and we both held each other harmless..etc..etc, and that I am responsible for any and all charges/costs for the vehicle.

The MSA also states that the other spouse shall provide any documentation..etc. when requested regarding this fact.

The lease has 4 months remaining. I only have about 30 days left before I go over mileage. I've found a vehicle with enough incentives and rebates that will comfortably bury the $1500 it will cost to satisfy the lease.

Herein lies the problem. My ex refuses to sign the paper which gives permission to the dealership I am working with to take possession of the vehicle and return it to the manufacturer, along with the check to satisfy the lease.

What recourse do I have? The MSA does not state that I have to keep the car until lease end, it only states that I have to pay her for the car until the lease is terminated. Well, I wish to terminate it and our MSA states that the car is "regarded as mine".

I've considered dropping the vehicle off in her driveway, giving her the keys and walking away, but I would certainly be in violation of the agreement. Is she not also in violation by not providing the documentation I need to terminate the lease?

It sure sounds like it. Can you ask your lawyer to write a letter demanding that she abide by the terms of the divorce decree? If not, you may have to file for contempt, though you may not get a court date in time for the transfer.

Fuuny,

I have a similar problem with divorce and leasing. She never mails me any of the paperwork .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back