Can visitation be set up in court without attorneys involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gina1960

My 21 year old son has a daughter who is almost 2 now. He has recently split with the mother. He pays child support but has no set visitation. At the moment the mother allows visitation every other weekend and overnight on Wednesdays but I am pretty sure they will not always get along and have urged my son to get set visitation. Is there a way an average person does that without having to ask an attorney to do all of the footwork? Does it go through a certain process that we can do ourselves?

He can do it himself, also some courts offer mediation. Mediation is great if the courts offer it.

RUN, not walk to the nearest courthouse! Our family went through the same thing and the minute she gets mad you and your son you will not see his child for anywhere from 2 wks to 3 months. Till she cools off or needs a babysitter. It should be set visitation

I said the same thing shooter. She's already moody as it is and I think its only a matter of time. Is this something that goes through probate, or municipal court? I know very little about childrens visitation.

I said the same thing shooter. She's already moody as it is and I think its only a matter of time. Is this something that goes through probate, or municipal court? I know very little about childrens visitation.

That depends on where you live. You can google your state's or county's courthouse to see if they have the forms and other information online. Or, you can just go to your local courthouse and ask. The clerks should be able to point you in the right direction.

Some states even have family law facilitators at their courthouses to help with the process, or you may be able to hire a paralegal to help with the paperwork and explain the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back