Can I be held liable as a Sales Rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matilda654

I started working as a Sales Rep for a man that is starting a business in fencing, decking, custom landscaping, building sheds, and patio covers.
He is paying me a draw each week against commission. I am concerned about this individual and whether he is doing everything on the up and up. I have gone with him on two appts. with clients to give estimates and two are going to have the work done. A friend of mine asked me if he has liability insurance and workers comp insurance for his business, so I asked if he did and he said no, he cant afford it at this time. Then I told him I am concerned that if one of his workers falls off a second story deck and gets hurt, then the client will sue and we can be in a lot of trouble. He is incorporated and knows his personal assets wont be touched if anything happens to his business. He told me not to worry, that he will be held accountable, not me. My question is, if I am the Sales Rep, can I be held liable or sued if something happens on a job?

I started working as a Sales Rep for a man that is starting a business in fencing, decking, custom landscaping, building sheds, and patio covers.
He is paying me a draw each week against commission. I am concerned about this individual and whether he is doing everything on the up and up. I have gone with him on two appts. with clients to give estimates and two are going to have the work done. A friend of mine asked me if he has liability insurance and workers comp insurance for his business, so I asked if he did and he said no, he cant afford it at this time. Then I told him I am concerned that if one of his workers falls off a second story deck and gets hurt, then the client will sue and we can be in a lot of trouble. He is incorporated and knows his personal assets wont be touched if anything happens to his business. He told me not to worry, that he will be held accountable, not me. My question is, if I am the Sales Rep, can I be held liable or sued if something happens on a job?

wow, i can see your concern. the only advice i would offer if you are really concerned about it is to talk to the local workers comp office in your town our county. i thought workers comp was compulsory insurance, meaning it is mandatory. his business license with the state, if he has one, could be revoked if he does not carry wc insurance i would think. i would question whether he is a legit business or not.

Like stated above I would check into it.

I am in PA and I know it is mandatory to have insurance depending on the business especially if it has labor involved such as the business your working for.

However I don't think you can be held liable for just being a sales rep for the business, is your name tied into the business at all? Like partnerships or anything? Again though look into contacting the local workman comp office and ask them they will know the law about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back