Personal Bankruptcy Can I add current landlord on bankruptcy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrathell

I already have my meeting of the creditors scheduled for late July. I filed the BK myself.

About a week ago I moved into a new apartment and it turns out my landlord is the worse slumlord offender in the city history an I haven't had hot water since I moved in, front first floor window is on an angle an falling out, the front door cant be secured properly, plus countless other problems with the apt.

Can I add my current landlord onto the bankruptcy even though I haven't broken the lease yet?

What chapter are you filing? You can leave now and put them in your Bk with a debt owing. However, since the new Bk rules went into effect in 2005-- the landlord (if he is smart) will dispute this because you are unable to accrue debt 90 days before you file bankruptcy-- this is considered fraud. Also this landlord if you include him has every right to be @ the meeting of creditors and tell the trustee you just moved in a week or so ago and now you're claiming bk on him.

Have you talked to the landlord about all of these
issues?

No, you can't, but you can contact the consumer protection agency in your state to ask for help with your landlord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back