Criminal Law can a record stop us

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsKannich

:confused: :confused: My husband and i have been married for 2 months im canadian hes american we married in wisconsin i was living there for almost 2 years no visa just went for a vacation then we just uped and got married.We want to live in canada[ iam now back] my husband was not allowed over the border because he had a theft on his record he only reseived a fine he also has on his record a drug parafinalia he only resieved a fine the border guard ordered him to sign a form stating he can not try to come into canada for five years . Can this be over turned?can he become a canadian citizen with his record?how long would it take?and if he can get a pr [permenant resident] will this include a working permit? [ the judge who married us looked into my husbands record and said that there was nothing stopping him from going over since he only was fined no jail time no court, he even said that if he needed to give him a waiver he would give him one at no charge. But would these things be the same ? american law converted to canadian law would it be just the same in canadain law as just a fine?? we did ask a lawyer he said it would take a few weeks to a month mmmmmm we saw him in the paper he has a few charges against him now so we dont know if he was pulling are leg or what lol any advice would help thank you ...

Mrs.Kannich said:
:confused: :confused: My husband and i have been married for 2 months im canadian hes american we married in wisconsin i was living there for almost 2 years no visa just went for a vacation then we just uped and got married.We want to live in canada[ iam now back] my husband was not allowed over the border because he had a theft on his record he only reseived a fine he also has on his record a drug parafinalia he only resieved a fine the border guard ordered him to sign a form stating he can not try to come into canada for five years . Can this be over turned?can he become a canadian citizen with his record?how long would it take?and if he can get a pr [permenant resident] will this include a working permit? [ the judge who married us looked into my husbands record and said that there was nothing stopping him from going over since he only was fined no jail time no court, he even said that if he needed to give him a waiver he would give him one at no charge. But would these things be the same ? american law converted to canadian law would it be just the same in canadain law as just a fine?? we did ask a lawyer he said it would take a few weeks to a month mmmmmm we saw him in the paper he has a few charges against him now so we dont know if he was pulling are leg or what lol any advice would help thank you ...

I don't think anyone here can give any better legal advice than your lawyer, who knows all the facts of your case. While I can understand you hoping for a different answer, I don't know that there is one. Good luck to both of you and hope it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back