CALIF - Need help dissolving Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2trusting

My partner and I have been together for over 8 years, but have only been Registered Domestic Partners with the State of California since October 2010. We decided to split in Dec. 2011 but have not filed any papers yet because she is looking for work.

I downloaded the dissolution paperwork from the State, but according to their requirements, I cannot file the paperwork myself because I own my house which is worth more than the $38k limit.

We both agree on the division of all of our community property and how everything should be divided. Is there any way we can do this ourselves, or do we still have to hire a lawyer to file this with the Superior Court?

Also, she has been unemployed for over 2 years and has no assets. I came into the relationship with substantial assets. Are any of my assets at risk since they were all acquired prior to our relationship?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You do not need a lawyer to file the paperwork with the state. Based upon what you are telling me, I highly advise that you speak to an attorney. When it comes time to dissolve relationships, you never know what might happen. Considering that you have considerable assets, regardless of when acquired, you are best served by speaking to an attorney to make sure that you keep them and make sure you'll take the easiest road in order to avoid any dispute. I also don't know all the details of your situation. Just my gut feeling.

Definitely speak with an attorney to protect your assets. As registered domestic partners you are "supposed" to be treated the same as married couples...and this is a halfsies state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back