Breach of verbal contract

J

James G

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I have had the same days off for almost 12 years as verbally promised by our first GM on my hire date. This has been in place since my hire date. Now my employer says they are not required to honor it. Is this true? Should I contact HR about this to enforce a verbal employment agreement?

I have had the same days off for almost 12 years as verbally promised by our first GM on my hire date. This has been in place since my hire date. Now my employer says they are not required to honor it. Is this true? Should I contact HR about this to enforce a verbal employment agreement?

A promise never rises to the level of a binding contract.

Therefore, you don't possess an oral contract.

Oral employment contracts don't exist.

If they did, how could they be enforced?

They couldn't, because the court would nothing on which to base its verdict.

If you had a written contract, GUARANTEEING certain days off, that could be a valid employment contract.

As you have no written employment contract, you're like the vast majority of workers, an AT WILL EMPLOYEE.

As an at will EE, you work the days and hours assigned.

If you don't wish to do that, you can resign, or risk being terminated.

I have had the same days off for almost 12 years as verbally promised by our first GM on my hire date. This has been in place since my hire date. Now my employer says they are not required to honor it. Is this true?

Yes.

Should I contact HR about this to enforce a verbal employment agreement?

No. Doing an end run behind your boss won't change anything and will only get you put on the problem employee list.

You are employed at will and can be fired for any reason or no reason (as long as it doesn't violate any anti discrimination laws).

There are almost no circumstances under which an employer must grant time off. What is your reason for needing off and what is the reason it has been denied?

Back