Bought car, counterfeit title, has lien

jasonkane

Hi, I hope i can find some answers. I bought a 2014 ford fiesta from a man, off craigslist. He said he was selling it for his girlfriend, that wasn't there. The title was clean and signed off, so I bought it and drove home. I went to register the car, and the dmv told me that the title was a counterfeit, with the car info altered, to match the car I purchased. The dmv took the title. After filing a police report, the detective on my case, has too many cases, and has done little to research my case. All he could tell me, is that Bank of America has a lien on the title, and that the car has NOT, been reported stolen. Now i am just sitting here with the car, and don't know what to do. Can someone please tell me what options I have to protect myself, in keeping the car, getting my money back, or any other advise. For the record, I meet him in front of the address he gave me, and he came out of the house. I saved the craigslist ad, with his phone number and vin # listed. I also found a different advertisement, for the same car, with different pics, names, and phone number, that was listed a month earlier. The phone I called him on, is out of service. Please let me know all the options I have to protect myself, and what any of you would do, in my situation. Thank you so much, in advance.

It's rather annoying when people don't pay attention to what they are doing. When you opened this space you ignored the par that says "Jurisdiction - where the event occurred." If you had paid attention and put your state in there I would have an answer for you. Now I had to waste my time asking you for your state and then waiting for your reply.

This happened in Las Vegas Nevada. The car's registered owner bought the car from Enterprise car sales. Here is the important carfax information if needed.

04/05/2015
36,180 Enterprise Car Sales Las Vegas, NV
enterprisecarsales.c om
Offered for sale as
an Enterprise Certified Used Car
Certification includes:
109 point inspection completed
12 month / 12,000 mile limited powertrain warranty
1 year unlimited mileage roadside assistance

05/04/2015 36,248 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

05/19/2015 36,468 Nevada Passed emissions inspection Inspection Station

Las Vegas, NV

Owner 2 Purchased:

2015 Personal Nevada 6/4/15 present
(1 yr. 2 mo.)

05/19/2015 Nevada Registration issued or renewed Motor Vehicle Dept.

Henderson, NV

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

06/04/2015 Nevada
Motor Vehicle Dept.

Henderson, NV
Title #NV0078277517

Title issued or updated New owner reported Loan or lien reported

08/03/2015 Ford Motor Company Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program

https://www.carfaxonline.com/AuctionCheck/runVhr.cfx 2/5

9/3/2016 CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2014 FORD FIESTA SE: 3FADP4EJ3EM151818

In my defense, I have purchased about 50 cars, to repair and flip, on craigslist. This is the first time I have been scammed. I did a vin check, and it was not reported stolen. I could not see if it had a lien, as that info is not public. But yes, I did not take the obvious necessary steps to ensure this was a legitimate sale. I took the risk, because it was a good deal on the car. I have learned my lesson. I paid $4200 for it.

I'd like to find out what the story is with the owner.

The current status of the vehicle registration is suspended, as of 1/27/16. No reason is specified. The owner is 72 years old - I wonder if he somehow got scammed as well, or maybe he passed away and someone appropriated the vehicle.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the registered owner is deceased. That is the only other thing that detective has told me. Also that the man I bought it from, is not at the address of the registered owner.

Another person scammed after buying a car on Craigslist. What a surprise.

How much did you pay for this car you don't own?

You know what I want to say, mate, but I'll stifle myself.
I'll only ask, when will people learn?

I'd like to find out what the story is with the owner.

The current status of the vehicle registration is suspended, as of 1/27/16. No reason is specified. The owner is 72 years old - I wonder if he somehow got scammed as well, or maybe he passed away and someone appropriated the vehicle.

I suspect he's deceased, but not by natural causes.
It's Vegas, baby.
Did someone do old dude in, mate?
What do you think?
I'm leaning to the someone did old dude in, right now.
I'm going to do some research myself.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the registered owner is deceased. That is the only other thing that detective has told me. Also that the man I bought it from, is not at the address of the registered owner.

I'll search my "deep web" contacts.
I'm curious, too.
Do you have any information on the "man" who scammed you?
Name, age, DOB, race, nationality, scars, marks, tattoos, any other particulars?
Did you request to see valid, government issued identification?
At what address did the scamming occur?
Date?
Any other vehicles observed in the area?
Any other scammers accompany your scammer?

This happened in Las Vegas Nevada.

That's unfortunate. Many states allow people in your position to post a bond to get a title.

So far I've compiled a list of 27 states that allow that and so far I have found nothing in Nevada statutes or DMV website about bonded titles in Nevada.

I suggest you ask the people at the DMV if there is some hidden regulation somewhere that would allow you to post a bond and get a title. If yes, come back and tell me to I can add it to my list. If not you might have to establish residency in a state that does allow it. Utah, California and Arizona allow for bonded titles and may have towns close enough to you to make it worth while.

The alternative is to sue the guy for your money back but good luck with that.

I'll search my "deep web" contacts.
I'm curious, too.
Do you have any information on the "man" who scammed you?
Name, age, DOB, race, nationality, scars, marks, tattoos, any other particulars?
Did you request to see valid, government issued identification?
At what address did the scamming occur?
Date?
Any other vehicles observed in the area?
Any other scammers accompany your scammer?

Thanks for the help. I was really hope if someone could tell me what options I have, to keep the car. Or if i can legally, part it out, ect. I do not know the name of the man who scammed me. I did meet him at the address he gave .e the police told me that there has been other suspicious activity at that address. The address is 8721 castle view ave, las vegas 89129. The phone he text me from was 702-608-9777. The names and phone #, for the second ad I found, were joshua and nichole at 7026232973. Are you able to trace IP, through CR ad? the posting ID was 5697964849.
He was about 30 years, 6' white male 160lbs with buzzed head and prison tattoos on arms. Look like a heavy drug user. i saw no ID.
This happened on Sep 1 2016.
It was in a nice neighborhood. no other car at that address.
I saw to other white men, go in and out of the house. One was white and very over weight.

That's unfortunate. Many states allow people in your position to post a bond to get a title.

So far I've compiled a list of 27 states that allow that and so far I have found nothing in Nevada statutes or DMV website about bonded titles in Nevada.

I suggest you ask the people at the DMV if there is some hidden regulation somewhere that would allow you to post a bond and get a title. If yes, come back and tell me to I can add it to my list. If not you might have to establish residency in a state that does allow it. Utah, California and Arizona allow for bonded titles and may have towns close enough to you to make it worth while.

According to this Nevada law firm, NV does issue "bonded titles".

Here's the link, where its explained on their website:
Title Transfer
Nevada Bonding agency (allegedly) selling the boinds and explaining the process:
;
;
;
Nevada Title Bond up to $25,000 - 99% Approval Rate through Bonds Express
''
''
''
As usual, for those interested in these products, links aren't my endorsement of the agency or product.

Any prospective purchaser should always do his or her due diligence BEFORE forking over cash for any good or service.

Thanks for the help. I was really hope if someone could tell me what options I have, to keep the car. Or if i can legally, part it out, ect. I do not know the name of the man who scammed me. I did meet him at the address he gave .e the police told me that there has been other suspicious activity at that address. The address is 8721 castle view ave, las vegas 89129. The phone he text me from was 702-608-9777. The names and phone #, for the second ad I found, were joshua and nichole at 7026232973. Are you able to trace IP, through CR ad? the posting ID was 5697964849.
He was about 30 years, 6' white male 160lbs with buzzed head and prison tattoos on arms. Look like a heavy drug user. i saw no ID.
This happened on Sep 1 2016.
It was in a nice neighborhood. no other car at that address.
I saw to other white men, go in and out of the house. One was white and very over weight.

I'll see what I can discover.
In some cases IP tracing isn't all that helpful.
These scammers tend to use public devices, as in public access computers in libraries.
I'll do my best.
So far, the VIN revealed exactly what "the highwayman" posted.
I'll keep kicking over rocks.
I hate scammers.

You might be able to get a "bonded title" and keep the car.
I think you must hold that title for three years in NV before you can sell the car.
I'd worry about the cops finding a dead man, and figuring out the scammer dusted old due, stole his car, and sold it to you.

In the future, never pay for a car from a private seller until you prove the title exists, and it is free of any liens.

Yeah, might stop you from buying a car, but it'll keep your cash in your pocket.

As my pops taught me, "Son, if in doubt, walk away and keep the cash in your pocket. Cash is always more useful in your pocket than anything you can buy with it."

As "adjuster jack advised", visit DMV and see if anyone can tell you how it works in Nevada.
My research on "bonded titles" is also above, so you might wnat to check out those sites, too.

Are you sure a about the bond? I have never heard of that being possible on a car that knowing has a bank lien on it. I called a few bond places, and they told me it cant be done, because of the lien. The DMV actually recommend that i work a deal with a tow company. Let them tow the car, get their lien on title, then sell it to me. Sound sounds like a risky move. I feel like I could still get the car confiscated by the bank. Am I legally able to part it out, before the bank finds out I have it?

Are you sure a about the bond? I have never heard of that being possible on a car that knowing has a bank lien on it. I called a few bond places, and they told me it cant be done, because of the lien. The DMV actually recommend that i work a deal with a tow company. Let them tow the car, get their lien on title, then sell it to me. Sound sounds like a risky move. I feel like I could still get the car confiscated by the bank. Am I legally able to part it out, before the bank finds out I have it?

Too risky for me to try, because I'm pretty sure its illegal.
It sounds and looks like some type of fraud.
I'd continue working with the police, hoping they come up with more information.

See if you can get me some information about the 72 year old dead guy.
If we find the dead guy, we'll find a relative that is involved in this, and that'll lead us to the scammer!

Try Bank of America - I doubt you'll be able to get much information from them though. Maybe you can find out how much is owed on the car, although if I was you I would not be looking to spend even more money on that thing,

Try Bank of America - I doubt you'll be able to get much information from them though. Maybe you can find out how much is owed on the car, although if I was you I would not be looking to spend even more money on that thing,
I am afraid to contact bank of america, because then that might speed up, them coming to confiscate the car.

Am I legally able to part it out,

No.

You don't own it.

You can't sell it.

You can't part it.

Oh, sure, you can sell individual parts off the car and hope nobody (especially the lender) catches on and sues you but, eventually, you will be stuck with the remains of the car that have a variety of identification numbers. How would you like that sitting in your garage or driveway without being able to unload it? You'd be cited by the city in a heartbeat.

Maybe you'd be better off calling the lender and having the car picked up.

Then consider the $4200 as your tuition for a life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Hopefully you've made enough profit on your 50 other deals to offset this loss.

By the way, used car price on a 2014 Fiesta in good condition is about $7000. Your greed (getting it for $4200) made you ignore all the red flags (low price - too good to be true, seller appearance - "prison tattoos" - yikes, the story about the title, not getting the guy's name, etc) and contributed to you getting conned.

Captain Braddock of Racket Squad taught us that the mark's own greed is what makes con artists so successful.

Last edited:
Back