Best way to proceed with divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargoyledreams

I haven't seen or heard from my husband in four years. The other week I received a letter, through a family member, from my husband asking for my current address so he could have me served. At the bottom of the letter was a cc to a lawyer in TX, where he resides. I have attempted to contact the lawyer, and give him my information so that I would not have to contact my husband directly. When I called the lawyer I was told by his secretary that had never heard of my husband. She then told me that she would talk to the lawyer and get back with me. I have since then left two more messages, and have not heard from them. It's been a week, and I'm wondering what to do now. I don't have the money to talk to a lawyer, and I would really like to get a divorce. Is it smart to contact my husband directly? Especially after the lawyer didn't know him. I live in SC, and he lives in TX.

My only suggestion is to call the courthouse in the county where he lives to find out if he has already filed a petition for divorce. If he hasn't, then file for divorce in South Carolina, and have him served in Texas. Then you won't have to travel to Texas for the proceedings.

Maybe this is in another thread somewhere, but are there general comments on how one actually files for a divorce? For example, do I just go to the city records office and submit a form?

I am actually wanting to do this for my father, as his agent with POA, to divorce his wife.

You can go to your county courthouse for the forms. There may be a self-help center or family law facilitator if your county has those services. You can also look online for your state's or county's website. The forms and instructions may be available there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back