Bedroom Ceiling falling+security deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyde08

OKay so I am in a pretty sticky situation. Our landlords want us out and gave us our 30 day notice so we have to be out by sunday. We paid the rent for July (although I am not sure if we had to or not if you could answer that that would be great) and now a WEEK before we have to go my bedroom ceiling falls right by the doorway! Thank God no one was standing there. I was just wondering if the landlord is allowed to keep our security deposit because of that. It wasn't our fault it fell. I've been looking all over the internet for legal advice and maybe an email address for an attorney to ask them but I can't find any. If you can help i'd really appreciate it!

thanks
hyde

Why is your landlord terminating your lease? Why do you wonder if you should have paid rent for July since you were living there at that time? Why do you believe your landlord might think you are responsible for the ceiling falling?

Have you contacted your landlord regarding this ceiling falling?

Gail

If you move out before the end of the month you will be entitled to a prorated refund of the amount of the rend not used.

As for the ceiling damage, the landlord will obviously try to hold you responsible. Do you know what caused the ceiling to fall? Was there a water leak or previous damage? Was there some event that happened that caused it to fall?
If you are living in a place that is literally falling down around you, take plenty of photographs to show the condition of the property. The landlord will have difficulty proving that you did something deliberate to make the ceiling fall when the rest of the property is falling down too.
If the landlord refused to return your deposit over this, it is very likely you will end up in court.

OKay so I am in a pretty sticky situation. Our landlords want us out and gave us our 30 day notice so we have to be out by sunday. We paid the rent for July (although I am not sure if we had to or not if you could answer that that would be great) and now a WEEK before we have to go my bedroom ceiling falls right by the doorway! Thank God no one was standing there. I was just wondering if the landlord is allowed to keep our security deposit because of that. It wasn't our fault it fell. I've been looking all over the internet for legal advice and maybe an email address for an attorney to ask them but I can't find any. If you can help i'd really appreciate it!

thanks
hyde

Mightymouse is right about last months rent and I'm not sure if New York requires the landlord to apply interest on last months rent. As far as the ceiling is concerned judging from the photo it is a lathe and plaster ceiling on which the keys (little extrusions created behind the lathe when the plaster is laid to hold it in place) broke loose, it is normal wear if the plaster was in good condition and you, lets say bumped it with something it would have created an indentation or small hole not what I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back