Bandanas considered "gang related"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorty124

So I've been wearing two of my bandanas at school for the last three day's. (Folded, used as a headband with the knot in the back. To include I put my hair up.) I wore the bandanas separate of course. One was black with roses, the other one is a typical white bandana with the black swirls. After the third day of wearing my bandana (the white one). A school supervisor rudely told me to take off my bandana. After explaining to her that the school dress code says and I quote " Apparel/accessories (e.g. including chains, jewelry, bandanas) that can damage school property, be considered gang - related, or be used as a potential weapon, are not acceptable school attire" She sent me to the office to one of the administrator's. So again I explained the dress code.I told her that the color of my bandana was not gang related. And that I was aware that the three colors that are considered gang related are red, blue and yellow. She then explained that if she allows me to wear a bandana she has to allow everyone else. Which is not true if the bandana is being used in a gang related way. After repeating again "considered gang related". She then tried to tell me that bandanas are not allowed at school. If that is true, then the school board must inform the inter school and make it clear in the rules. If failed to act then they are giving high school students false or misleading information. I told her about me wearing a bandana three day's straight and included that the year before other students including my self wore bandanas and were never questioned or pulled a side about it. She did not have a reasonable excuse to why it was never brought up.
After doing some research on the situation. I have discovered that the way I had worn my bandana, it was not associated or considered gang related. It is actually considered being an Aliceband (a headband of sort). Also after searching up how a bandana is considered gang related. Several sites have stated that the knot must be placed above the scalp or the bandana must cover the face. Therefore, if what I have read is true, I did not violate any rules. When I return to school. I plan to talk to the administrator again. To address my new discoveries. If there are any suggestions on what I should included in my conversation, who told include in the situation or any legal actions that can be taken. Please notify as soon as possible.

You and your parents can take it up with the school administration, and, if necessary, the school board. But, understand that if you defy the school's authority on this you can be subject to discipline. None of us can say what the school admin is basing their decision-making on. It could be on color, it could be on style, it could be any number of things. There thought might be based upon some real and objective basis, or, it might simply be based on misinformation. But, as an officer who has considerable gang experience and has testified as a gang expert numerous times I can say that it is not always color alone that determines gang involvement it can be an issue of how the item is worn or even folded and displayed. Obviously, I do not have enough information to render a decision on your situation, but, there may be some good reasoning why any and/or all bandanas are prohibited no matter the color.

So, get your parents on board and work with the administration. Until the question is resolved allowing you to wear the item, I strongly suggest you refrain from doing so.

Many school dress codes prohibit the wearing of any kind of head gear. Your banana could possibly be considered a hat.
The dress code likely leaves the school a lot of discretion as to what is appropriate and what is not.
I suspect you are fighting a losing battle here. To have any chance of success you need your parents to make some noise, but that may not be enough.
Wear your banana before and after school, but remove it while on campus.

Unless you are an Indian and it has a feather in it, you are pretty much out of luck. Are you trying to get expelled?

Unless you are an Indian and it has a feather in it, you are pretty much out of luck. Are you trying to get expelled?

True, but let's not overlook other special exemptions: Muslims, certain practitioners of the Jewish faith, those of the Sikh faith, and the unfortunate children required to wear protective headgear.
Did I leave anyone out?
If I have, I apologize.

You need to get your parents involved if you want to pursue this. However; unless there is a specific reason why you need to wear a bandana, I wouldn't wear it during school hours. Why cause problems for yourself.

Deliver us all from know-it-all teenagers. Seriously kid, is there a valid reason you must wear this particular bandana this particular way? This is an uphill and expensive battle even if you "win". I know of what I speak when I say you have a very slim chance of prevailing here. Schools hold a LOT of latitude in setting dress codes and interpreting those codes. They wrote the rules so they get to enforce them as they see fit. The exceptions are for bona fide medical, religious and certain cultural or first amendment purposes. Personal preference does not play a role. Now if this was a religious article, you would have a good case for being permitted an exception, provided you went through the proper channels to obtain one. That you somehow have concluded that the only colors which are gang related are colors other than the one who chose (you are wrong about that btw) does not mean you get to wear what you like. 99% of all policies also prohibit items similar to those closely affiliated with prohibited activity. Again, that determination is left to the school, not student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back